There is life

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
Hello All

I needed 6 more Viognier vines to start another small row at my house. So for kicks and giggles I thought I would try to grow my own from prunings I had some left over potting soil, compost and empty pots. I built a small green house out of scrap 2x2's and stapled some clear visqueen around it to from a green house. I left them in my shop about 55-65 degrees.

I started these a little after Christmas and here is what I have so far. Didn't see much growth the first three weeks. I bought some cheep heating mats and these look to be doing well. I figured my success rate would be around 40% so I planted 20. All of them have at least one bud leafing out.

The first week of January for more kicks and giggles I did the same with some Cabernet, again all with left over materials. I used coat hangers as frames and clear Costco plastic garbage bags to for the greenhouse, they too are on a heating mat. These 20 cuttings also look to be getting bud swell and may be ready for bud break in a few day.

I still need to build the trellis system and move a raised bed where the 6 Viognier need to be planted but snow and frozen ground is hard to work with.

Have a Great Weekend

image.jpg

Last edited:
keep them watered. they are presently growing using the energy in the cutting. continuous watering will help them build root strucure.

Thanks for the advise, I was guessing that but I really I have no idea what I am doing. Read a couple articles and a watched a video or two. I had some stuff to use and the vines were cheap. I plan on babying them a lot so the roots can take. I will keep them tented, humiditiy is low here. They are in my shop on heating pads which gets good indirect light and stays cool. If anybody has experience growing cutting feel free to chime in, I need 6 of the Viognier to survive. :)

I agree, keep them moist. I root mine in my basement where the floor is hydronic ally heated. It is reported to stimulate root growth. When they get more that 6 inches or so if growth, I pinch back to a couple of buds to keep them from too much green growth. Seems to work well to plant them late April here in Wenatchee. I've had some cold kill but just of the green growth and more has come. The quickest way I've killed them is not keeping the soil moist through June. After that they seem to have enough root to make it.

This year I'm trying laying down for more Sauvignon blanc. We'll see how that works.

Back