Sg reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman1951

Reaction score
Started a batch of super sweet Welch's
Beginning sg was 1.162 ( got it a little rich)
This is day 4 sg is 1.122 is this slow or am I just anxious. Used 3 cans Welch's, red star yeast, 4 cups sugar. One gallon batch.

Ok. Starting sg 1.162 after 4 days sg 1.122 airlock still working. Is this normal for high starting sg ??

As stated earlier, with such high sugar content, you did well to get it started. Not knowing which red star yeast you used makes it hard to predict how far it will go, but rest assured it will die of alcohol toxicity long before it gets dry, leaving you with a very sweet wine.

Ok. Starting sg 1.162 after 4 days sg 1.122 airlock still working. Is this normal for high starting sg ??

I don't really know the answer to your question, but it does not sound abnormal to me. Even for a regular starting gravity, a reduction of 0.040 after 4 days sounds reasonable. For mine, there is usually close to 2 days (lag phase) before you see any reduction at all. Then taking 0.040 down over the next two days sounds quite reasonable to me.

Make sure you get some nutrient in there with that. Montrachet ferments good, but if it gets stressed you will get a dose of rotten egg smell. Not enough nutrient (food) can stress it, it does not happen every time but I wouldn't chance it. Good luck with it, Arne.

Back