mulberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmrussell

Junior
Reaction score
hi folks. as some of you might be aware, i started a batch of mulberry wine back in june. with great patience i finally bottled it this past weekend. I had trouble choosing how to back sweeten my batch and with a stroke of luck, i found a neighbor who had some mulberry juice that was frozen. after some hard negotiations, i got the juice and added some suger to it to make a syrup with it. all i can say is WOW.
What i found to be the hardest thing making this wine was the clearing. i made it with just the juice, no water was added at all to it so it was pretty dark and alot of sediment. i filtered it once a month until i got almost all the sediment out. i ended up with 8 bottles of which i had to give 3 to the neighbor who had the juice.
This wine was a test of patience and will to this newbie wine maker and i feel i have learned alot during this process. Holy cow, june isnt that far away and my mulberry tree will be full of those beautiful berries again. think in the meantime, i will start a batch of cherry wine in a few weeks so i can once again see that beautiful bubbling thru the airlock once again.
Cheers my new friends and thank you all for the advice you gave in this effort.

oh and yes, i keep detailed notes on this batch.::

Last edited:
Great to hear how your wine made out. A couple of tips, add some pectic enzyme, this will help in the clearing and I always take out some wine, add sugar to it and warm it up and add it back for backsweetening. Lol, you won't have to lose 3 bottles to negotiating!

i actually used super-kleer kc finings to help clear it up. after the second to last filtering, i added that in as per instructions. i let it sit for 1 month then filtered and bottled.
as to my next batch, i already have the sweet cherry puree purchased so its my logical next project.

LOL, quit talking and start fermenting or you will most likely run out of the first batch long before the second is ready to go. One way to get around this is make bigger batches. Good luck and have fun with it, Arne.

Next on your mulberry list could be a Morat, a mead made with honey and mulberrys, very very good. What do you mean by filtering your wine? WVMJ

by filtering i mean i took it off the sediment and run it thru cheese cloth in a funnel. it also helped take alot of the sediment out as well. i cleaned the carboys out and put it back in to sit another month.
i have thought about using honey in my next mulberry run. i have a neighbor, yes same one that got 3 bottles has bees.

Thats kind of not the best way, you are probably exposing it to a bit of oxygen each time, if you just let it settle out on its own and rack it off of the sediment it would be less likely to be oxidized later on in the bottle. If you neigbhor has bees I think they would like some Morat also! WVMJ

Latest posts

Back