little particles on top of wine-

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japaisley1

Reaction score
Hello all. I have completed the secondary fermentation and racked into a glass carboy, the de gassing and clearing is completed. I have it airlocked and now a week later I see little tiny particles floating on the top. Any ideas what this is and is it ok? How to fix?

IMG_0450.jpg

Last edited:
it could be the start of flower bacteria on top of wine. I would rack immediately from the bottom leave last one inch or so. flower bacteria start at top and eats it way down the wine, so leaving the top behind should be okay. the I would double dose with k-meta in this case a 1/2 tsp. keep good eye on it so it does not start again.

Ok thanks for the feedback. this is a close up. which makes it look really bad... Do you think its bacteria for sure?:(:(

IMG_0449.JPG

It is really hard to make anything out from the pictures but it looks to me like the wine level is really low- like down at the lower shoulder low. A bacterial infection could be possible. Have you added sulfites yet?

It is really hard to make anything out from the pictures but it looks to me like the wine level is really low- like down at the lower shoulder low. A bacterial infection could be possible. Have you added sulfites yet?

Yes I know the pics are not great. Yes I did add the sulphite and the potassium sorbate bag and then Chitosan... If I added more wine do you think it may help?

Yes, it definitely should be topped up so you have minimal air space.

It's hard to say what it is - could it be some sorbate or chitosan that is clumped up? I would to it up, remove what you can, and make sure to watch it carefully for any further "growth". If it grows more, rack it from any growth and hit it with more sulfite. Monitor for off odors or tastes.

Yes, it definitely should be topped up so you have minimal air space.

It's hard to say what it is - could it be some sorbate or chitosan that is clumped up? I would to it up, remove what you can, and make sure to watch it carefully for any further "growth". If it grows more, rack it from any growth and hit it with more sulfite. Monitor for off odors or tastes.

By sulfite, do you mean potassium meta bisulfite? Does Sodium Meta bisulfite work the same?

thanks!

not sure with the closeup. surface bacteria makes a milky film and bubbles are also present. I would still rack and double dose. better sure than sorry. something is there and leaving it in will not help the wine.

I would go ahead now and rack it leaving as much of the crud behind as you can and sulfite it again. That way if it is some infection it won't spread. If it is just chitosan or sorbate flakes you will at least get most of them out now. If it is down , definitely fill the carboy now. A similar wine is best. Water will cut flavor and body.

Would one want to k-meta, let sit a day, filter and after filtering add k-meta again?

Ok, so I just realized that I forgot to add the chitosan. I added it (keep in mind this is a week later) and stirred and topped up the wine with similar wine. Now it looks like this. I thought I should let it settle and see if it clears, and then rack tomorrow if need be.
Do you think it was because I forgot the chitosan?

IMG_0453.JPG

Hi,

I have a few questions if I may ask,

1.What are you stirring it up with( when degassing), plastic, wood, etc ?

2.Are you cleaning, brushing, sanitizing, rinsing making sure all crevices are
clean, airlock clean, bung or stopper hole cleaned out, sanitized ?

3.When you move carboy are you being super careful not to create a back siphon of your fluid in your airlock ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a few questions if I may ask,

1.What are you stirring it up with( when degassing), plastic, wood, etc ?

2.Are you cleaning, brushing, sanitizing, rinsing making sure all crevices are
clean, airlock clean, bung or stopper hole cleaned out, sanitized ?

3.When you move carboy are you being super careful not to create a back siphon of your fluid in your airlock ?

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply:)
1. I used a metal attachment type degasser used with a drill. I use a plastic stir spoon -the long ones for a car boy.
2. I am cleaning, sanitizing all of my equipment before it touches the wine. And I do not let it touch anything before the wine after I wash, rinse, sanitize, rinse and rinse again. Yes I also clean and sanitize the bung and stopper/airlock. But I have not let it really sit in the cleaning/sanitizing solution. Should I? I just wash and rinse and sanitize using a juice bucket and spray bottle.
3. I am honestly not sure if I have been careful enough, I am trying not to move it as much as I can. I haven't moved the actual carboy out of its spot since the de-gassing day.

Not sure why you have the same thing going in two threads. The answers will flow better if you keep it all in one place. It is a pain to have to go back and forth to see what others have recommended. Not criticizing, just pointing out a way for you to get the best answers.

Thank you for your reply:)
1. I used a metal attachment type degasser used with a drill. I use a plastic stir spoon -the long ones for a car boy.
2. I am cleaning, sanitizing all of my equipment before it touches the wine. And I do not let it touch anything before the wine after I wash, rinse, sanitize, rinse and rinse again. Yes I also clean and sanitize the bung and stopper/airlock. But I have not let it really sit in the cleaning/sanitizing solution. Should I? I just wash and rinse and sanitize using a juice bucket and spray bottle.
3. I am honestly not sure if I have been careful enough, I am trying not to move it as much as I can. I haven't moved the actual carboy out of its spot since the de-gassing day.

I have seen people including my self pull their bung with airlock and sit it on things, countertops and such, without a lot of thought. Wherever it is placed needs to be sanitized too.
It is also good to make sure the bung and inside lip (opening) of carboy is dry and you get a tight seal when bung is replaced.(they can work out latter on and you not know when wet or damp). I hope some of the more experienced wine makers see your post and can help you. Sanitation is so crucial. Next is TA. and pH. (acid levels), along with Sg.

Wish you the best!

Latest posts

Back