WineXpert LE15 Pinot Grigio Verduzzo Kit ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shwymie

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just received my LE15 Pinot Grigio Verduzzo Kit and am getting ready to start it.

One strange thing (to me!) is that it includes two yeast packets, EC-1118 and 71B-1122. Do I use both? All the kits I have done previously only contained one yeast packet...

Also, any possible suggestions? I have done several kits, but all have been reds; this will be my first white...

Thanks for any help,

Evan

Included in the box was:
18L Juice
Bentonite
K-meta
K-sorbate
Isinglass
1 packet EC-1118
1 packet 71B-1122
...and bottle labels.

You are supposed to use both. The 71B will add some nice aromas and flavors and the EC1118 is the insurance policy in case you are not watching it close enough it will always finish out the job where others may not. You don't need the EC1118 as long as you keep an eye on it and keep it warm (~70) it will do the job all by itself.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll throw both in and let them work their magic.

How is this coming along for you?
I stabilized mine on 2/2.. tastes really good even at this stage..

So far so good...it looks like I might be a few days ahead of you. Tried it when I checked SG right before stabilizing and tasted good, but to me, had a hint of a Chardonnay...maybe the fruitiness will come out more as it clears/ages???

This is my first white kit, so not sure what to expect...

I really like all of the WE white kits. Not too pleased with any red kit I've made. disappointing.

I really like all of the WE white kits. Not too pleased with any red kit I've made. disappointing.

Whites are definitely ready much sooner. How long are you aging your reds, and what reds have you made?

Nero d Avola, Amarone, Eclipse old vine zinfandel, Eclipse cabernet, LE pino noir.. I've aged them a year or 2. Have both bulk and bottle aged. Really not too impressed. I've pretty much decided to buy bottles of reds I like and make whites for the spring /summer.

Oh. And my brother in law just bought a Forza kit for me to make for him. Starting that this week.

Nero d Avola, Amarone, Eclipse old vine zinfandel, Eclipse cabernet, LE pino noir.. I've aged them a year or 2. Have both bulk and bottle aged. Really not too impressed. I've pretty much decided to buy bottles of reds I like and make whites for the spring /summer.

My Nero D' Avola was a tragedy, broken carboy and 6 gallons of wine down the drain. :( On top of that, this was right at the time it was discontinued, so I couldn't buy a replacement. Luckily my uncle gave me a bottle of his. It was one of the best Selection International w/skin kits that I've tried.
The WE Amarone was completely unimpressive. I wouldn't make it again. Yet others on this site rave about it. I guess if you do some serious tweaking it can be good.
Eclipse Zin is decent. We add extra tannins and extra oak, bulk age for a year, then bottle and let them sit until at least 18 months.
Eclipse Cab. is done the same as the Zin, but has turned out consistently better than the Zin. We've made the Zin twice and the Cab three times.
The LE Pinot is the best example of Pinot that we've made at this point. It's definitely on the lighter side, but it has all the varietal characteristics of an Oregon pinot. It seems Pinot Noir is difficult to do well, regardless of whether it's from a kit or grapes.
If you're still unimpressed with your reds after aging 2 years+, I'd suggest adding extra oak and tannins in both primary and during bulk aging (except on the Pinots). Our higher end reds with enough time on them, hold their own in blind tastings with commercial bottles in the $10 - $20 range. Have you tried any RJ's or CC kits? The EP/WS and Showcase kits are as good or better than the Eclipse kits.
Back on topic, We're looking forward to how well the LE Pinot Grigio Verduzzo turns out. But it currently sits 4th in line, waiting for primary.

I just took delivery of this one last week. Interested to see how it's coming along for others that have made it. Also picking up the Pinot Noir Merlot Syrah Passport Series tomorrow that I'll kick off soon. Exciting times...

I watched the video on winexpert.com about this kit and they said in the tasting notes to enjoy this wine while young. I bought the kit regardless even though I'm 45 :ft

Mines in the bottle. tastes great.. reminds me of last year's le pacific quartet. Nice summer wine. Grapey. Dry. People tell me they really like it. Have fun!

I know this is an old thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase this kit highly discounted. For the ones that have made this kit, would you recommend it?

Back