Fermeting Whites in Cooler Temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittGrad

Reaction score
I've seen many recommendations around fermenting white wines in cooler temps for better flavor extraction/fruitiness. I've got a Sauv Blanc kit that i'd like to try this approach with and my basement is around 60-63F.

Guess i'm not sure though if this method is more stressful (I'll be using the EC1118 that kit came with) and requires additional nutrients and more 'help', or if it's just simply slower because of temps, but will ultimately finish without additional help. Appreciate thoughts/experience!

I ferment all mine wines in the basement and I don't add any additional nutrients nor have I ever made a yeast starter. It will be a slower ferment which is what you want. You will be fine.

Last edited:
According to Lallemand's website that yeast is good down to 50*F (10*C), it will be slower to start up and to finish. If you follow the directions on the package, make sure you get the yeast slurry and the must within 10*F of each other before pitching or you may stress the yeast.

I've been known to start it in my kitchen around 68*F then move it to the cooler basement once it shows signs of life.

Have fun!

While your basement may be 60 degrees, the must itself could be 10 degrees or more higher during active fermentation.

Thanks all for the input. Timely post richmke-checked on my bucket this morning after moving to basement earlier yesterday and despite ambient Temps around 60, must is 72-74. Oh well--so much for nice slow extraction...

I haven't tried it yet but I have read of people freezing bottles of bottled water and tossing one of them in to lower the must temp. When it thaws out they replace it with another frozen bottle. Just sanitize the outside of the water bottle before tossing it in. Others put the bucket or carboy in a larger tub and then fill the tub with cold water. Some wrap with a wet towel. Let us know if any of these work for you.

stir it once a day to aid oxygen to yeast. ferment will take a while

Actually stirring should be just enough to put the must back in suspension and help expel CO2 but not so violent as to introduce O2. There's plenty there for the yeast to work.

Latest posts

Back