Sparkling wine recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Reaction score
I made a semi dry Traminette last year. I did not intend to make sparkling wine. Some turned out as intended, but some ended up sparkling. The good news was that some of the sparkling turned out great. The bad news was that a few bottles popped their corks, but not all. Everyone loved the sparkling Traminette. I did bottle some into a few beer EZ cork bottles. They were able to handle the pressure.
So, does anyone have a suggestion as to how much sugar per gallon I can add to a batch of dry wine before bottling into those Thick, swinging cap EZ bottles to get some bubbles?

3/5 cup sugar per five gallons will give you a light sparkling wine. make sure wine is clear and without potassium sorbate. I have caped in beer bottles in past and these will hold pressure fine.

You could also use a Cornelius Keg to do force carbonation. Just pour in your clear wine, seal the keg, sparge the keg then pump up to 30 psi with CO2. Put the keg in the fridge and wait 2 or 3 weeks for the CO2 go into solution.

The advantage here is that you now have a keg of nice, clear champagne where the first glass is just as clear as the last. No having to deal with individual bottles, caps, or disgorging. No risk of exploding glass either.
And let's face it, having champagne on tap is cool!

You could also use a Cornelius Keg to do force carbonation. Just pour in your clear wine, seal the keg, sparge the keg then pump up to 30 psi with CO2. Put the keg in the fridge and wait 2 or 3 weeks for the CO2 go into solution.

If you start with the wine cold and rock the keg slowly back and forth while forcing the CO2 through the "down" (liquid) tube for 5 minutes or so it will carbonate in a matter of hours, if it is cold enough (talking like 28-32*F). Just make sure you have enough CO2 to do it or if you run out you will ruin your CO2 regulator as the liquid comes back up the gas line. Been there, done that one.

Thanks everyone! Salcoco, do you bottle immediately after adding sugar?

yes. process is same as carbonation of beer. it will take about a coupe of weeks to insure carbonation. try a few bottles as you go along to see level.

Do you do anything differently with adding sulfite a if you plan to add sugar to make it?

Latest posts

Back