Cork size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8torx

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new wine maker. I am making my first batch. I have collected a bunch of used wine bottles. Mostly 750 ML sized. I have a few bigger bottles that I want to use. The opening looks very close in size to the smaller sized bottles. I am wondering if its safe to use the corks I bought for my 750s on the bigger wine bottles? I tried to measure the openings and found them very close in size. The bigger bottles have maybe a slightly bigger opening. The corks I have are the ALTEC # 9. Thanks Dave

#9 is pretty much standard on all wine bottles unless you get into 3L bottles or bigger. You could always give one a dry run and check it out.

Thanks! I am really enjoying this wine making thing! This first batch is an education. Ive already got two other batches planned!

It is not the size of the cork that matters, it is how you use it.. :)

Seriously, runningwolf is right. #9 is pretty much standard and should fit the bottles you have (provided that non of them are screw-tops).

Back