Advice wanted.....and certainly needed!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisVino

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm from Northern Ireland and new here. I have posted a brief intro in the new members section.

I have never made wine before so I'm quite excited at the prospect of giving it a go. I have looked at some of the starter kits and to be honest I'm not really any the wiser for it. I guess I just don't know what to choose.

If it's of any help here are the preferred choices, forgive me if I sound somewhat naive!

Red is my favourite. I like Tempranillo, Barolo and Rioja or indeed anything that is full bodied. Ideally I'd like something that is ready to drink when the process is finished. I don't have the patience to wait for 3 months...or 6 months...or longer.

Can anyone suggest any kit that is available in the UK?

Many thanks and I look forward to your replies.

Chris :h

I think what you will find, Chris, is that few kits are ready to drink right away. The ones that are quick drinkers are off-dry wines. I would heartily encourage you to make one of those AND a full-bodied, dry red in quick succession. Drinking the quick drinker may tide you over until the dry wine is ready to be enjoyed.

(I am afraid I do not know the names of UK kits to offer specific examples.)

Which brands can you buy? IMHO, start with an inexpensive, early drinking, kit. You will learn a lot with your first kit. If you make a big mistake, you have minimized the potential loss. You will also have something to drink while you wait for the more expensive kits to age.

Latest posts

Back