Other Differences between kit manufacturers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for an overview of any noticeable differences between kits that come from different manufacturers. So far, I have only done winexpert kits. I've done various Vintners' Reserve, Selection, and island mist kits. Haven't had the chance to do any Eclipse kits yet, but I am looking at soon purchasing a top of the line kit, now that I've got some practice making wine.

Are there any advantages of going with an RJS En Primeur kit for example over Eclipse kits? Or are they all made to pretty much the same standards? Specifically, I would like to do a Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah. If anyone has a top of the line kit they would recommend in those varietals, it's appreciated!

I can't help with a comparison between manufacturers, but I can say that the WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sauvignon is a fantastic wine. I made my first batch of it a year ago and have been trying a bottle every three months. Tasting it as it matures is a lot fun. It is a beautiful full bodied and flavored wine now, and by most accounts it doesn't even reach it's peak till 18-24 months so I'll keep trying that first batch sparingly as time goes on. I imagine the other top end kits are likely similar, but I'm so impressed with the WE Lodi Ranch 11 that I made three more batches this summer/fall. I'll bottle one batch tomorrow and it will go straight into storage for two years, as did the one before that. Another I'm aging for a few months so that I have a table drinker while I wait for my first kit to reach it's peak. It's very good even young. I'd rather drink one of the batches young than a cheaper kit while I bide my time with the other batches in long term aging. Last year I thought a year would be an intolerable wait, but I'm very glad I waited/waiting.

From what I recall, I believe that Cellar Craft Showcase is about as good as it gets with the kits. Good fresh juice buckets are better than that.

From an execution perspective, the Eclipse grape skins come in a bag. I find it impossible to get the skins out of the hole, so I cut the bag. One of the kits, I believe the CC, comes in a tub that is infinitely easier to pour out.

I believe the Dec-Jan 2016 Winemaker magazine had the list of the top 100 wine kits based on past wine contests. should prove to be good reference.

From what I recall, I believe that Cellar Craft Showcase is about as good as it gets with the kits. Good fresh juice buckets are better than that.

From an execution perspective, the Eclipse grape skins come in a bag. I find it impossible to get the skins out of the hole, so I cut the bag. One of the kits, I believe the CC, comes in a tub that is infinitely easier to pour out.

Correction, the RJ's Winery Series come with the tubs containing the skins. Definitely much easier to use than the bag that CC or WE include.

FWIW, CC Showcase, WE Eclipse, and RJ's Winery Series/En Primeur are all top notch as far as kits go. The Limited Editions from each brand tend to be really nice as well. Haven't tried MM yet, but I have a couple on order for this year.

Latest posts

Back