Just blended some Syrah-Grenche...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
60% Syrah and 40% Grenache. So far seems a touch harsh/astringent

I have to check acid levels. But in the meantime, should I add some oak chips? I know that others have suggested that granache shouldn't be oaked but what about when it's blended with syrah?

I have another few carboys to blend and will likely go with a blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Syrah and 10% Cab S. just to see what I get...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Ummmm. How old is the wine?

it's this year's batch.. i know it's far too young to judge, but initial tasting suggests a bit on the harsh side... but I can't tell if this is the nature of the Syrah... I have never worked with it.

One thing is certain; this will be a dry wine.

wondering if adding a galling of Cab in the next batch will add something to this combo.

Then you should not be making any blending judgments at this time. Especially based on your perception that the wine is "harsh". It's 2 months old wine. Of course it taste harsh. Leave it alone, have some patience.

it's this year's batch.. i know it's far too young to judge, but initial tasting suggests a bit on the harsh side... but I can't tell if this is the nature of the Syrah... I have never worked with it.

One thing is certain; this will be a dry wine.

My last years Syrah is still a bit harsh. I'd give it time. Come to think of it, it's been almost 2 months since I tasted my Syrah. Uh oh. Wine thief time!!

My last years Syrah is still a bit harsh. I'd give it time. Come to think of it, it's been almost 2 months since I tasted my Syrah. Uh oh. Wine thief time!!

I've read that Syrah doesn't need as much aging as Cab and that within a year it can be drunk... perhaps the source of info wasn't very accurate... I am not going to even think of bottling until at least winter 2017 and may even put that off til spring 2017 so hopefully the two will come together nicely. I don't tinker much with my wines other than adding some oak chips to certain varietals/blends... I have never adjusted acid/ph. I know others out there probably think this is the wrong approach. But there is a school of thought out there that states a wine, given the right conditions of temp., light, So2 levels, etc, should be left to mature/age without tampering too much. As long as the fermentation process another steps were done correctly, it's fun to se what you end up getting. Sometimes were tamper too much with stuff

Latest posts

Back