this hobby

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man-o-man, I love this hobby! I do without all week, but on Friday I sit I'm my cumfy chair and do some sippin.

threre is not too many hobbies that makes you feel like a fortunate son.....

and how God loves me...

I feel sorry for those other poor, unfortunate, people that never know this joy...

just needed to share that with y'all.....

John, every morning I drive by a major Welches plant and their world distribution center. I tell ya when I see their sign It always brings a little chuckle from me thinking about all the crap we give you. Sure glad you hooked up with us. Now git ur a$$ outta dat chair and wack some wine!

Manthing is going over to a friend's house tonight.

He's bringing over some of our latest mead for them to drink.
It's a warm and satisfying feeling to know that not only did we make it, but it's good enough to actually serve to others.

I hear ya, John. Did a mini 'round the world after a nice run tonight and sampled from my two barrels. The 'romantic' image of winemaking. I had some LR Shiraz Viognier and my 2014 Amador Zinfandel from grapes. Both were wonderful, so I opened a bottle of Yalumba Shiraz Viognier and am now kicking back. Gonna watch a movie with the fam in a few minutes.

Happy Friday, everyone!

This hobby is the best! Always take a bottle or 2 or 3 to the hostess There is nothing better than to hand out a bottle of something you made yourself! Only wish I had the idea of making a cranberry/grape wine before this month oh well next years Christmas gifts!

I for one am hooked! It is taking something as innocuous as a grape and caressing it into this wonderful drink!
You can't be anything but patient about it.
I just need to convince SWMBO that I am making something good and delicious and want her to join me in this fantastic hobby. Don't get me wrong she loves to drink wine :h. Just has not been impressed with my first years attempt :?.
I keep telling her, the more I make the better I get!.

Steve

I just need to convince SWMBO that I am making something good and delicious and want her to join me in this fantastic hobby.

Manthing still isn't all that interested in joining me in this hobby. Oh, he will help when I ask for it, but it's really not his thing. I think I'm ok with that. We have no arguments about what is the next batch to start and he's not using my supplies on his own wild experiments.

Wife used to help me, kinda grudgingly, but would help. Then when I had to move the operation to the building because of the new hardwood floors she has just about stopped. She still helps if I ask but mostly just makes sure I get the fruit I want and walks away.

That being said, she helps me core apples and between the 2 of us, we can core, bag and get in the freezer 2 bushels of apples in less than 40 minutes.

My wife helps me drink it. I also get clearance before spending money on supplies. She's also my #1 critic. Other than dry reds if it passes her test, then it is good enough to give to others. Only wines she hasn't liked are on the bone dry side (Viognier has falled out of her favor and replaced with Pinot Grigio).

Barbiek - good idea for the grape/cranberry...I've got a Niagara/Cranberry that I haven't tried yet (just walked a bottle up to the fridge). Would make a nice colorful gift this Christmas!

Edit: The Niagara/Cranberry passed the test. Got a yum and my better half quickly (for her) consumed the rest of the 375 ml bottle (I think it took like 22 minutes total till she poured the last glass). I got a sip and I think I need to dream up some colorful labels. So my Christmas shopping is now done!

Edit2: Better yet, I'm chilling another 375ml bottle of the "cranberry blush" and taking it over to my SIL. She will only drink Berringer White Zin. My brother would not even think of making a White Zin kit and bottling it for her Christmas present back in June. I even offered to go halfzies on it and make it and bottle it for nothin. He was too worried she wouldn't drink it. So wish me luck. By this time next year I'll have her drinking a glass of Forza.

Last edited:
Yes indeed- great hobby. Not hard to become the most popular kid in town when you make great wine! Even if you're a 66 year old kid! Sure beats repairing everybody's drones.

Latest posts

Back