Feedback on pH/TA levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
I am in the process of 2 wines from buckets/must. My first ones.

I just transfered my syrah. It just finished MLF with VP41, done in 3 months. I transferred to a 6 gallon carboy, added 1/4 tsp Kmeta, about 5gm tannin complex and 1.5oz french oak. My numbers for this one after MLF were pH: 3.54 TA: 6.4g/L.

My second wine was transferred recently is a chenin blanc. Just sitting in carboy. The recent stats were pH: 3.41 and TA: 8.7 g/L. The SO2 was
8ppm so I added about 1.5gm of Kmeta powder, about 1/4 tsp.

So...first wines not from a kit, both sets of numbers seem....OK....compared with what normal reds and whites are. They both taste young but acceptable.

Do these stats seem good? I really didnt do any adjustments to the wines, no acid additions or major changes from the beginning. Seems pretty easy and just hoping it isnt TOO easy.

Thanks

It looks like you're in good shape to me. If you have the ability to test for sulfite, I would check the Syrah in a few days and adjust the free sulfite as needed according to PH; the first sulfite addition after ML can bind quickly. You have the right attitude, the moment you think it is too easy something strange happens....

Those number are good. No further adjustments at this point. Like stickman said, adjust SO2 to the current PH and like salcoco said, test again in 3 months.

Hi, I concur with stick man. The pH and TA numbers look good. For SO2 in red wines, 50 - 90 percent of a first addition can bind and become unavailable as a preservative, so after a week recheck the Free SO2 and adjust as needed, probably targeting 20% high.
Reluctant Chemist

Latest posts

Back