New silicone waterless airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one for my Vadai but have never used it. Just didn't trust it to actually seal. Valve on yours looks identical to mine.

I bought one for my Vadai but have never used it. Just didn't trust it to actually seal. Valve on yours looks identical to mine.
This wouldn't work for a barrel. it's an outside mount. Its a thin silicone so as you can see, it really raps around the carboy.

BTW, thanks forthe tip on the Flextanks. I ordered 3 of them :br

Yea, I meant mine is a silicon bung sized to fit the opening in a Vadai but it has the exact same inner fitting like yours. It slides up and down and has the weird T shaped end piece. It slides but it just seems like gravity may or may not seal it very well and the silicon is slightly sticky. I just had a hard time trusting it to seal 100%

Keep us posted on your experience with your FlexTanks as well! Going to clean mine and fill this weekend!

I feel when forced in the closed position it will seal just fine. I can't put it over the carboy unless I put it in the "Ferment" mode.

I forgot to mention that mine is for a barrel (small) and might not fit inside a regular carboy.

Just pick up a few of these. I really like them. anybody else using these?

I have a dozen of them. The only thing that I have found is to dry the carboy and the bung and pull the bung over the carboy without the center piece on. Once secure, install the center piece. I've seen them inch up if they are put on wet or you trap air in them if you install with the center piece.

For bulk aging in carboys I simply use Saran Wrap and two rubber bands. Works great! Saran Wrap is not permeable to air. Its elasticity handles the atmospheric pressure changes.

Yea, I meant mine is a silicon bung sized to fit the opening in a Vadai but it has the exact same inner fitting like yours. It slides up and down and has the weird T shaped end piece. It slides but it just seems like gravity may or may not seal it very well and the silicon is slightly sticky. I just had a hard time trusting it to seal 100%

Keep us posted on your experience with your FlexTanks as well! Going to clean mine and fill this weekend!

While up at Luva Bella I noticed he had the type of bung you have. He had purchased a bunch of used barrels and was reselling them. They all came with this bung but he was taking them out and replacing them with cheaper, solid bungs. He LOVES the silicone ones and is keeping them for himself. I was also touring a winery in Washington state and noticed all of his carboys had these bungs as well. he LOVES them. Good enough for me.

As far as the Flextanks go. So far so good. only thing I see is the wine (after 5 months) isn't degassing very well therefore not clearing either. I'm wondering how long I should wait before I intervene. SO2 levels are remaining strong though

Is this style better/as good/worse

How does this airlock compare to the other one posted inn this thread

11015.jpg

How does this airlock compare to the other one posted inn this thread

The one you posted is the same one that I use, have them on all of my bulk aging vessels and on my oak barrels. They remain pliable even in the chilly wine room, seal well, are easy to remove and reinstall, winners in my book.

For bulk aging in carboys I simply use Saran Wrap and two rubber bands. Works great! Saran Wrap is not permeable to air. Its elasticity handles the atmospheric pressure changes.

Updated... I've learned since posting the above that the statement about permeability is not true. Saran Wrap is not impermeable but does have a very low permeability.

I still use Saran Wrap figuring I'll still get some CO2 coming out of the aging wine and if indeed there is some pumping of air/O2 it amounts to something like the micro-oxidation that seems to be a benefit to barrel aged wine. [That's my story (delusion?) and I'm sticking to it!]
smilie.gif

Latest posts

Back