How do I lower SO2 from wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Segarram

Reaction score
I accidentally added too much Potassium Metabisulfite to my 5 gallon batch of wine. I tested it with an analyzer and there is 130ppm in the wine. I've read several post here that say "splash rack" the wine. Can someone please define splash rack? Does it mean siphon it to a bucket and then pour it from one bucket to another or let the wine splash when siphoning?

I've tried degassing it for about 10 to 15mins and tested it again which brought it down 86ppm. I have not continued to degassing in fear I may do more damage the good. Should I continue to degass until I get it down to 50 or 30ppm? That would mean I would have to degass for another 15 to 30 minutes. Not sure if this is a good idea or if there is something else I should try. Any help/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

At what stage of the process are you?? What wine?? Consider adding some TIME to the recipe!! It's free and can be found anywhere.. SO2 will dissipate w/out harming your wine.

Too much degassing could introduce oxygen as well. Has it changed taste? What's the acidity? 86ppm might we well within the norm for low acidity wine.

I'll probably degass some more to lower the sulfite another 40ppm. Floandgary mentioned adding "TIME." I'm not sure I understood what it is and where to get it.

Time - with time your SO2 level should decrease as well. Check it in a few month.

Hi, waiting is your best choice. Your SO2 level is not that high, and will drop with aging. Levels above the 160 - 200 ppm range can be problematic in a finished wine, but your level is fine even if it doesn't drop any more.
Reluctant Chemist

Any one have an opinion of the ph/so2 chart that is on the back of the instructions that come with the Accuvin testers? I am looking for a quick reference chart and this one seems to OK. I don't use the accuvin product since I went with Vinmetrica.
Comments?

By the way I just checked my SO2 and it is now 40PPM. So time was the best thing to lower the SO2. The wine taste amazing!!! Gonna let it age another 6 to 8 months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back