Carboy and Fermentation Bucket Q's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristi

Reaction score
I haven't yet ventured into doing 5 gallon batches, but I'm thinking I might try the Skeeter Pee recipe for 5 gallons this time, versus a gallon since it takes the same amount of time to do 5 gallons as it does to do 1.

My questions are these:

Can I use one of the 5 gallon plastic water jugs that I use for filling with reverse osmosis water? Will 5 gallons be large enough?

Also, can I just use a regular 5 gallon bucket for the primary fermentation? Should it be food grade?

If you have recommendations for me, links would be awesome since I'm new to the 5 gallon brewing world. ;-)

Thanks!

I haven't yet ventured into doing 5 gallon batches, but I'm thinking I might try the Skeeter Pee recipe for 5 gallons this time, versus a gallon since it takes the same amount of time to do 5 gallons as it does to do 1.

My questions are these:

Can I use one of the 5 gallon plastic water jugs that I use for filling with reverse osmosis water? Will 5 gallons be large enough?

Also, can I just use a regular 5 gallon bucket for the primary fermentation? Should it be food grade?

If you have recommendations for me, links would be awesome since I'm new to the 5 gallon brewing world. ;-)

Thanks!

Well -

All equipment you use should be considered food grade - or use at you own risk.

The primary fermenter needs to be bigger than 5 gallons if you are planning to make 5 gallons of skeeter because you will have 6 lbs of fruit that also need to be in the primary as well.

Suggestion -
Make 2 - 3 gallon batches in 2 - 5 gallon buckets and combine them after fermentation is complete and you may even have an extra 1 gallon left over.

Kristi, my go to on a batch of skeeter is a 6.5 gallon food grade bucket and a 5 gallon glass carboy. Simple tools of a hydrometer, starsan, racking cane, stopper and an airlock. A few moving pieces, but it can't be found on Craigslist quite frequently.

I ferment 5.5, 5.75 gallons in the in brew bucket until around 1.000 then rack into carboy.

Last edited:
Well -

All equipment you use should be considered food grade - or use at you own risk.

The primary fermenter needs to be bigger than 5 gallons if you are planning to make 5 gallons of skeeter because you will have 6 lbs of fruit that also need to be in the primary as well.

Suggestion -
Make 2 - 3 gallon batches in 2 - 5 gallon buckets and combine them after fermentation is complete and you may even have an extra 1 gallon left over.

No fruit in Skeeter Pee (original recipe), you are thinking of Dragons Blood I think.
Kristi, you can always scale down and make a 4 gallon batch too, if your bucket is not big enough.
You do have to allow room, at least 1/2 gallon to a gallon for foam from fermentation.

Last edited:
My three cents, Kristi: I am not a chemist or an MD but the danger of using EVEN food grade plastic is that not all food grade plastics are designed to handle the acids in wines or the alcohol. The plastic is not going to leak or anything but acids and alcohol CAN leach chemicals from plastic that say, water cannot. The amounts of chemicals leached are not large and the effect may not register in the taste of the wine... but some of the chemicals that will leach pose health risks to both humans - and the environment Now whether the leached chemicals will make you ill or whether they may make you ill after doing this repeatedly for 25 years or 25 months, or whether they will make 1 person in 100,000 ill is not anything I can speak to... but there are risks associated with chemical leaching and you should be aware of them. And there are plastic carboys that are designed for storing wine...

Ok great, thank you.

Would this be what you are referring to? Is this also ok for wine making?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E62H8I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Remember I mentioned I had a 6-1/2 gallon brewing bucket?
That is the same one I have, been using it for years, my 7.9 gallon is called a Vino Vessel, for making wine since most wine kits are 6 gallons, made by the same company.
If you get that bucket get an airlock for it too

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember I mentioned I had a 6-1/2 gallon brewing bucket?
That is the same one I have, been using it for years, my 7.9 gallon is called a Vino Vessel, for making wine since most wine kits are 6 gallons, made by the same company.
If you get that bucket get an airlock for it too

Alright cool, thank you so much!

Ok great, thank you.

Would this be what you are referring to? Is this also ok for wine making?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E62H8I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Shipping for such large items is crazy. Your LHBS should be visited. They can steer you in the right direction. Mine is full of beer brewers, but they do have plenty of good items for the Wine Makers in my area. And for the large bulky items, there is a cost savings in purchasing from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back