48 hours and no fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
I think it's too cold in the garage to get going. I put the electric blanket around and over both fermentation buckets, this morning and set it on high. If it doesn't get going by this evening, I'm going to pitch more yeast, and this time prep it like directed on the packet. Usually I just toss it in.

I think it's too cold in the garage to get going. I put the electric blanket around and over both fermentation buckets, this morning and set it on high. If it doesn't get going by this evening, I'm going to pitch more yeast, and this time prep it like directed on the packet. Usually I just toss it in.

shoot for a temp of at least 65 degrees (F).

I prepped and pitch another packet into one. Suppose to be above average temps today (low 70s). I'll set it out in the yard around noon time. That should do it, I hope.

:u

I'm getting impatient. Prepped and toss the 2nd packet of yeast into the other bucket. Now I've got another blanket on top of it all.

I've never had this problem before. Only differences is the cooler temp and I've use a lot more sugar then I have ever used before.

Do you have a temperature reading of the must (rather than the outside temp)? Do you have specific gravity readings? Sometimes fermentation can be very quiet (a stealth fermentation).

Steve

Do you have a temperature reading of the must (rather than the outside temp)? Do you have specific gravity readings? Sometimes fermentation can be very quiet (a stealth fermentation).

Steve

I added Yeast Nutrient also. I've done about everything I can think of. There's something going on that I'm not experienced with. I'm just in a wait and see mode now. I am prepared to be disappointed, but I will survive. :D

suggestions

keep it off the cement floor - put a rug between them

Hot water in milk jugs to help bring up the temperature if needed

may want to try a champagne yeast and start a culture first-
by adding your juice to a small bowl and some yeast enginizer or go ferm and then put your packet of yeast in it. Then put it in a dark place for approx 20-30 minutes and see if you have a large yeast head brewing - If you do and your temperature is around 70 then dump it in your primary.

Do not mix it all up - just keep all the yeast together- better chance for survival - similar to making bread

keep us posted

If it is cooler than you are used to, the ferment will probably take longer than you are used to also. It should still finish out allright, just take longer. Arne.

If it is cooler than you are used to, the ferment will probably take longer than you are used to also. It should still finish out allright, just take longer. Arne.

And that will be okay. I wasn't expecting to make wine this late in the year, and don't have the bottles for the wine. The wine will probably live in Carboys until the Spring.

Latest posts

Back