Second Run from a Zin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce67

Junior
Reaction score
Haven't seen much written about a second run Zin. We will begin next week with about 18 lugs of Zin and 4 lugs of petit Syrah. Any advice on a second run from a blend of these two grapes?

Bruce

I will not press at all during the first run - I might loose a bit in the first pressing - but I will definitely will make it up on the 2nd run.

Whatever amount that you got during your 1st run you then divide that by 2 and now you know how much sugar water you need to add back to the fermenter. Make the sugar water the same reading as your original juice was.

It will start fermenting overnight ( no need to add yeast ) - then go thru the entire process like you did with the 1st batch and press it when done.

Last edited:
Steve, I think you mean "divide that by 2" and not "divide that by 1/2" (which is essentially multiplying by 2). Your method is exactly what we did at home except that the addition of sugar was "measured" by my grandfather's taste buds.

Thanks Rocky !
I corrected my statement - so there is no misunderstanding.

My advice is this..

There is no way that the second run will compare in flavor and body to the 1st run. I have found that I prefer to have the few extra bottles I get from pressing the grapes (rather than several gallons of 2nd run).

I would press the grapes before making the second run.

When we made "second wine" at home, we did it exactly as Steve describes it. I agree with JohnT that it is not as good as the first run wine and was not expected to be. It was just a way to stretch the amount of wine we made to about double the amount and was served to "not so good" friends and people who over stayed their welcome. After drinking enough of the first wine, they could not discern a difference.

We did not press the skins before using them for second wine. Doing so would really result in a thin and tasteless wine. In fact, even when not making second wine, we segregated "free run" wine from the wine that had gone through the press, which was considered less than the free run wine.

I've two batches of Apple going. In 2 weeks time I'll move both to carboys, and do a second single run with the fruit combined. I expect equal quality or better as the apples will have soften and provide extra juice.

The 2nd run is always good for topping off the 1st run.

I will sometimes backsweetening the 2nd run and the wife likes it better than the 1st.

Trick is not to press the 1st pressing so you do have some color and taste fir the 2nd run

Okay so I did not know you could do this as I am very new to winemaking but enjoying it. And I just threw away the skins etc. from my pressing my Zinfandel and Cabernet I just did. So what do you do? Freeze the leftovers skins for when you are ready to do a second run with them? How do you keep them fresh? May seem like a silly question but again I've never done that. Thank you and cheers!

Okay so I did not know you could do this as I am very new to winemaking but enjoying it. And I just threw away the skins etc. from my pressing my Zinfandel and Cabernet I just did. So what do you do? Freeze the leftovers skins for when you are ready to do a second run with them? How do you keep them fresh? May seem like a silly question but again I've never done that. Thank you and cheers!

Yes you can always freeze them for latter - like spring time when the juice buckets arrive -

Aaron, do you mean you buy buckets of juice and pour them on pressed grape skins from wine that you are making from fresh grapes?

Yes Rocky.

I grow wine grapes and use them to make a first run wine.

After I press, the skins go back into my primary fermenter and I pour the contents from California grape juice bucket(s) over the skins. The yeast in the skins goes to work on the new batch and makes another full bodied wine.

It is treated the same way as the first run. Nutrients and Opti-red are used and I punch the cap down up to 4 times a day.

A little pricier then water/sugar/acid but the results are quite nice.

Yes Rocky.

I grow wine grapes and use them to make a first run wine.

After I press, the skins go back into my primary fermenter and I pour the contents from California grape juice bucket(s) over the skins. The yeast in the skins goes to work on the new batch and makes another full bodied wine.

It is treated the same way as the first run. Nutrients and Opti-red are used and I punch the cap down up to 4 times a day.

Got it. I am not surprised it is good wine. It is essentially a juice bucket with a super grape pack. That is a really good idea for people making with fresh grapes! Thanks for sharing it.

What would be the ratio of buckets to skins?

Steve

This is such a good idea. I wish I hadn't thrown away my skins! Lol oh well next time... still lots to learn for this young grasshopper.

This is such a good idea. I wish I hadn't thrown away my skins! Lol oh well next time... still lots to learn for this young grasshopper.

It really is. Last weekend, I was wishing I had a kit sitting around so I could start it with the spent grapes.

What would be the ratio of buckets to skins?

Steve

There is no general rule. I usually just add approximately the same amount of liquid that has been taken away. For every carboy that is filled on press day, then a juice bucket goes back in.

If you add more liquid back that has been pressed out, your resulting wine will most likely be thinner/medium bodied.

Adding less liquid back should result in a more full bodied wine as the skin to juice ratio would be huge.

I saved the little grape skin buckets that come in the RJS Winery Series kits and use them to freeze 'pressed skins' as well from time to time. One could buy quality concentrates and use them in conjunction with these.

I froze what was left after pressing the Dornfelder grapes I got this fall. Figured using the "butt" bucket press left a lot of goodies in those skins. Need to find a good red juice bucket to pair them with in the spring. I'm liking the taste of the Dornfelder so far, so I imagine I will be making next fall as well.

Latest posts

Back