Bentonite in Action

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
This stuff is a PITA. Seems to clump up upon moisture. When I use it I shake the crap out of it, and poke and prod it and then cross my fingers.

I need this Carboy in 2 weeks, so I doubled up my efforts with the Bentonite this morning. Prior to this, the clearing was very slow, good enough for me, but less then I would like. NOW, OMG, WOW!!!

I'd say the upper portion is 2 or 3 times clearer then before.

In the 2 weeks that I need this Carboy, I expect something like glass. :db

BentoniteInAction 001 (768x1024).jpg

Last edited:
What are you clearing up and I like your label /log I want to get some of those manilla labels that I can put lables. on and then put the major note in a log book I have coming. Good idea for thread, I think I'll post a new thread

This stuff is a PITA. Seems to clump up upon moisture. When I use it I shake the crap out of it, and poke and prod it and then cross my fingers.

I need this Carboy in 2 weeks, so I doubled up my efforts with the Bentonite this morning. Prior to this, the clearing was very slow, good enough for me, but less then I would like. NOW, OMG, WOW!!!

I'd say the upper portion is 2 or 3 times clearer then before.

In the 2 weeks that I need this Carboy, I expect something like glass. :db

Are you adding it dry?? If so, add some hot water to it, stir it around and use it that way. It still might have a few clumps of some kind, but if you stir it up first it should be a bit easier. Arne.

I do what Arne says plus use a fork to keep working it till it's dissolved then I add it in. Sometime takes 5-10min to get all the clumps out.

I used hot water. It helps a lot. This is Apple Wine. My tiny sip this morning tells me this is going to be some great wine.

Overnight, and it's even clearer. The stuff on the bottom is shrinking slowly also. This has been my first real success with the Clay. I'm now a believer.

I use bentonite in all my wines. I do like mentioned above and mix with some warm water before adding.In kit wines its the 1st thing you do - add warm water(4L) to primary and then stir in bentonite(approx.1 tsp./G) before adding must.
Looks Good!

I use bentonite in all my wines. I do like mentioned above and mix with some warm water before adding.In kit wines its the 1st thing you do - add warm water(4L) to primary and then stir in bentonite(approx.1 tsp./G) before adding must.
Looks Good!

I'm going to start doing it with all my wines. Results are amazing. :r

This is the 6th day. About as clear as it's going to get, i.e. it's damn clearer then I had hoped.

Q, the bottom has compacted down, but is dramatically slowing. Maybe there won't be much more. Looks like I'll lose 2 or more bottles. Is this right, the trade-off when using Bentonite?

Bentonite 001 (768x1024).jpg

Reason I ask is I have two other 6 gallon carboys with Elderberry fully fermented. I'm tempted to advance the clearing with Bentonite also, and maybe losing a few bottle is acceptable. There are additional advantages to using Bentonite, I now understand. The few I remember: clearing, removing off flavors, reduces oxidation potentials.

If you are careful when bottling, you can get it >90% out of that carboy and filter out the rest a day or two later. If you have the patience, coffee filters work slowly but well to screen out the lees/sediment, using a funnel to control it as you pour.

Would I be wasting my time to move the thick hazy bottom to a 1 gallon jugs and let it complete the final clearing? Maybe save another bottles worth?

Would I be wasting my time to move the thick hazy bottom to a 1 gallon jugs and let it complete the final clearing? Maybe save another bottles worth?

I usually do that especially when i am making 4 or 5 different reds. I take the bottom of all of the carboys after primary and transfer it to 1 gallon jugs. In about a day or two there is a pretty thick layer of sediment on the bottom that i again rack into clean 1 gallon jugs and then rack again in another week or so.

Using this method you will be amazed how many bottles of wine you will save especially when you are making 4 or 5 batches at a time.

20 bottles of Premium Apple wine labeled and stored away. 1/2 tsp of sugar to get it where I wanted it. Fully recorded and like labeled. :D

I did transfer the Bentonite sediment to a Gallon Jug. Another test, to see if I want to do this to my Elderberry. Thoughts of wasting even a glass of Elderberry Wine is heresy. Elderberry wine is precious and not an ounce is to be wasted.

hqdefault.jpg

elderberry-boot.jpg

4 TBS, as recommended on the package.

Based on this and the pic, I'd say you used too much bentonite.

That looks like a 5 gallon Betterbottle (if not, the following calculations do not apply). Here is one link showing 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons.

I don't dose my bentonite this way, I dose it at 1-6g/gal, usually starting with the lower dose. Bentonite is 11g/tablespoon. So, 1g/gal * 5 gal = 5g, which is about 0.5T or 1.5 teaspoons. Even the max dose of 6g/gal puts you at 30g or ~2.75T. So that means you used somewhere between 1.5 and 8 times what I would use and what I understand to be the standard dose.

The following is the approach I use and it generally works very well at 1-1.5g/gal:
Small dose bentonite slurry: 1T to 2/3 cup boiling water contains 16.2g/160ml or 1g/10ml; dose 1-6g/gal, or 10-60ml/gal, 0.25-1.5g/liter; 1.5g/gal when used in primary; 1.8g/gal or 0.45g/l for heat stabilization

Latest posts

Back