Too much metabisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeginnerMark

Reaction score
I put too much metabisulfite in my 6 gallons of wine after I racked it :( what are the consequences? I put 1/4 tsb 3 times because it spilled a bit

What kind of wine is it? What is the pH? In general if it is done fermenting I don't think it will hurt anything unless you were going to attempt to put it through a secondary MLF. Age will take care of it. Splash racking could also help. But time is on your side (crap, now that song is going through my head).

Red wine welchs super sugar... Done fermenting and has cleared totally... Currently In a secondary... I want to bottle it asap!

1/4th Teaspoon per 5 gallons... I put way too much
I put at least a full teaspoon

Can you splash rack twice then bottle -

How long do you have to bottle ? Wait till you have to - I am sure that you need the carboys for the fall production

If you are going to bottle use 1 tsp of meta and 1 tsp of citric acid per gallon of water for your sanitizer for your bottles

Yea I can splash rack it a couple times! I was hoping to bottle it this weekend but looks like I'll have to wait till next weekend... The kmeta smell will wear off in the bottles over time too right?!
Anyone else have a good solution to fix my stupid mistake

Yea I can splash rack it a couple times! I was hoping to bottle it this weekend but looks like I'll have to wait till next weekend... The kmeta smell will wear off in the bottles over time too right?!
Anyone else have a good solution to fix my stupid mistake

SO2 wont go away once the wine is bottled, it may try to outgas, but since the wine is in a closed environment, there isn't any way for the gas to escape. When you open the bottle, it will smell (wonder how I know).

Splash racking or better yet, vacuum racking will get rid of it.

Thanks guys I'll splash rack and Degas then we'll see how it comes I don't have a vacuum racker sadly

1/4 tsp in 6 gal is about 45ppm, so a full tsp is about 180ppm total SO2.
You won't be able to tell the difference. The limit of total SO2 is like 300ppm? Ask anyone using barrels, they will tell you that a total of 200ppm is not over the top.

thanks berrycrush!!! I bottled a couple days ago and I was so worried about the taste the k meta would leave but your reassured me and took all my worries away!
Thanks a lot

Back