Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

propellers

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I am new to wine making and over the last few weeks have started a couple of gallon of blackberry and a couple of gallon of elderflower (using dried flowers) and a gallon of elderberry all are coming along ok except for the elderberry which seemed to be going ok in the first fermentation but yesterday i strained it into a demijohn for the next stage and it doesnt seem to be fermenting at all? Is there anything I can do to rescue this?

Sorry I should have said the elderberries had been in a bucket with the sugar and yeast for one week and I strained it yesterday and put it into a glass demijohn with an airlock fitted but there doesn't seem to be anything happening ?

You cannot reliably tell the state of a fermentation based on airlock activity. You should (must?) obtain a hydrometer, which measures the density of the liquid, and costs about $7. This is the most straightforward way of monitoring the progress of the fermentation.

Back