Fermenting from fresh juice help please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCGruv187

Junior
Reaction score
After almost 4 weeks fermenting without any added yeast my SG has been at 1.002 for 2.5 weeks or so. I pitched yeast and nutrient to get it down to .995 but still nothing. The temp is 69-71 degrees. Am I just going to have to accept the fact that I'm going to have a sweeter wine?

Looking forward to responses as I've same issue with a sauv blanc bucket. After first yeast getting me to about 1.008, I pitched EC1118 in attempt to get it over the finish line. I've got moderate fermentation/bubbling but have been holding at 1.004 for about 2 weeks now (65-68 degrees)

Do either of you have any idea what your starting SG's were? If they were around typical for balanced juice buckets, you probably have 12-14%ABV already, you are going to have to work really hard to get another yeast started at those kind of levels. You can try, building a yeast starter. As in, hydrate your yeast, add some goferm, let it really get to going good, add about the same amount of must (about 50-100 ml), wait 30 minutes or more, if it keeps bubbling and building now double the volume of liquid you have, repeat until you have almost half of your fermented juic in with the yeast.

My gut tells me you are fighting a big battle, but it could work out. Good Luck!!

Mine was very similar, about 1.090. I'll give above approach a try and see how far it gets me. Thanks.

So confused...I added EC1118 about a week ago to try and get this restarted, and have had decent activity...even today still seeing bubble in the airlock about every 1-2 seconds. Problem is that SG has not moved below 1.000 this entire week. What else could be going on here?!?!

20151016_111559.jpg

Don't bother watching the bubbles - that's simply CO2 degassing from the wine, but you can't know if it is new or 'old' gas (unless it had been still for more than a month). Keep watching the SG - once it stays down at 1.000 or lower for a week, you know it is done. Getting an SG of a certain number (i.e., 0.994 or .996) is not the goal.

If you want to put in the time and effort, you could take a gallon out, add water (depending on your current abv), add sugar to get your brix to 3, add nutrient and get it started. When the brix drop to 1, add another gallon of wine to it (and maybe water based on abv) repeat until you've fed it all to the new ferment. Worked for me on 30 gallons of stuck Zin.

Back