WineXpert VR Mezza Luna and VR Sangiovese

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbayav8er

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

These 2 kits were on sale, so I bought them. Any feedback?

Thanks

How many kits have you made up to the present? Is that a Mezza Luna Red or a White? The WE VR is a 10 liter (of juice) kit and therefore requires about 13 liters of water added to make the 23 liter batch. I don't know what you paid for the kits and if you are just starting out, it is a good learning tool. I would expect that if you got a Mezza Lune White, you will be happier with it than the Sangiovese, which you may perceive to be rather "thin."

I suggest that you look for some posts by joeswine here on the forum regarding enhancements to the entry level kits. Joe has taken us through the wine making from A to Z on such kits including listing some of his "tweaks" such as adding raisins, tannin, etc. to improve the outcome.

My personal experience is that the larger volume of juice kits, i.e. 16 liters and above, while significantly more expensive, result in a better product. Your experience may be different.

Best of luck to you.​

Thanks for the response. I've done several kits so far. VR Merlot, VR Pinot Gris, WV Pink Moscato, Island Mist Coconut Yuzu Pinot Gris, Selection Chilean Malbec, Selection Spanish Tempranillo, and a couple dessert wines. The Mezza Luna is the red wine. The reason I got the VR kits, is because a couple of my friends want to make their own wine, so I split with them on these 2 kits. That way, we each still get 20 bottles, and splitting 3 ways on kits makes it more affordable to try a larger selection of different wines, rather than just ending up with 30 bottles to myself all of the same wine batch. These kits were $64.99 each, which isn't too bad. Although the VR Melot I did previously was fairly thin bodied compared to the selection kits I've done, it still had a nice taste. So, I found the Merlot to be good bang for the buck anyway.

I did the Mezza Luna red as my 2nd kit, hoping to get an early drinker. I find it to be a marginally acceptable quaff. It had strong KT, and this has not changed a lot in the intervening 2 years. It makes an okay table wine, but I certainly don't look forward to opening one! I would liken it to a bottle of 3-Buck Chuck (née, 2-Buck Chuck).

Latest posts

Back