WineXpert Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine - General Fortification Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGish

Eternal Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fortified and racked my double batch of WE Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine today. I started it mid-August (8/17/15) and am at the point where the instructions say to bottle the wine. My plan is to rack it twice more - January and April - then filter in July and bottle a week later for Christmas 2016 and beyond.

This is my first experience with fortification, so it got me thinking. I looked here in the forum, but could not find the correct combination of search terms to produce an answer.

My question is this: I added Everclear to bring the ABV to 20%. Will the higher level of alcohol protect from infection? I know oxygenation and light can still damage the wine, but does the higher level of alcohol remove some of the spoilage variables?

Thank You,
Cody

P.S. Here are a couple pictures of the leftovers from today's racking.

001 WE CRDWs.jpg

002 WE CRDWs.jpg

There doesn't seem to be much information available for this question - or perhaps I am not searching with the correct terms. However, I did find this page on WineMakerMag.com. Here is the relevant quote:

"One of the side benefits of making these types of wines is that fortified wines are typically more shelf-stable than other table wines because its high sugar and alcohol levels (typically 6–9% and 18–21% respectively) helps protect it both from oxidation and microbial spoilage shenanigans. This means you can open a bottle, sip a glass or two and simply cork it up and put it back on the shelf for a few days or weeks without too many ill-effects (to the wine, I mean!)" (Alison Crowe, 2011).​

While the focus is on the wine once it is in the bottle and then opened, it seems the same statement would pertain to the aging and bottling process.

Thoughts?
Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Cody

Back