Overdosed on REDULESS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menalek

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I have my 5 gal merlot in secondary fermitation for about 2 weeks and a few days ago I smelled H2S (rotten egg smell). I added reduless and apparently I made a mistake that I realized when it was too late. I added 20g instead of intended 2g. It's been three days already.
Is reduless safe? Should racking take care of over dosage? I am afraid of health hazards at this point.

Thank you for your responses.

Yes, I am also going to call them today.
The technical document1 and document2
don't mention anything serious but I am afraid it will introduce a higher level of copper into the wine. Does the copper go away with racking?

The cool thing about Reduless is its a blend of "stuff" rich in Copper (inactivated yeast, bentonite) all of which will eventually settle and collected out. I would still call the company and find out what they suggest. They may suggest filtering as well but do let us know what they say. As they say measure twice, cut once!

I just spoke with a technician from scottlab. She said I should rack off the wine first and send a sample to a wine testing lab to check if my copper level is within acceptable limits. If it's too high I would have to get rid of the batch. My estimate it's close to 0.2 ppm.

According to this official document quoting " The residual level of copper in the finished wine must not exceed 0.5 parts per million (0.5 mg/L)."

Last edited:
That's good news. The TTB maximum level for commercial wines is 0.5 mg/L. You are half that.

Latest posts

Back