Oh happy day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My old vine zinfandel had me worried.

The initial brix was 29.1. WAY too high for RC-212 to fully process.

I ended up diluting it to around 26.5 using acidulated water before pitching the yeast. This was as far as I wanted to go with dilution.

I realized my mistake. I diluted PRIOR to pressing and the measurements did not include the juice that was still trapped in the grapes. Of course, at the end, the wee yeasties quit on me at around 3 brix.

So, off to the store for some EC-1118. After only a few hours, and at a temp of 67 degrees, she was actively going! I could even hear the sweet sound of "FIZZZZZZ".

Got to say that this one had me worried. Here is the beautiful picture of bubbles!

IMG_20151006_192828_471.jpg

Not what I was going for.. This is a first for me (believe it or not). I have NEVER had to deal with a sugar level this high (over 29 brix). I was timid about adding water and was afraid that this might dilute the flavor of the wine, so I kept the sugar on the high side. I guess it was too high. Lesson learned!

Been knockin my Lodi Zin as well as most of the others down with acidulated water the lat 5 years. Sometimes as much as a gallon is needed for 3 lugs. I aways shoot for around 14.5% ABV. Sometimes like yours they are close to 29 Brix to begin with. So far there has always been plenty of flavor and mouthfeel. I think Zin is one of my favorite varietals these days from there. Lots of nice blends as well.

Been knockin my Lodi Zin as well as most of the others down with acidulated water the lat 5 years. Sometimes as much as a gallon is needed for 3 lugs. I aways shoot for around 14.5% ABV. Sometimes like yours they are close to 29 Brix to begin with. So far there has always been plenty of flavor and mouthfeel. I think Zin is one of my favorite varietals these days from there. Lots of nice blends as well.

I had 4 lugs of Amador Zin last year and had to add about a gallon. It is a little lighter than I'd like, but still pretty nice. The evaporation it's seeing in the barrel is helping a lot.

Having never diluted, I need to ask.. I have added ec-1118 it managed to knock the brix down to 2, but now is showing signs of slowing. Think that I should dilute further at this point?

No experience with that scenario (water way after the fact) It would seem like it would lower the ABV and make the yeast happier and thus able to finish out. Might be worth it to give it a go or you might end up with a bunch of Zinfandel Port (which doesn't sound too bad either)

Well, as we speak, the zin is still fermenting! So far, it has dropped to just under 2 brix. I have been checking it nightly and have been giving it a "Shot" (1/2 tablespoon) of fermax every 2 or 3 days.

Each time I add a little fermax, I get the expected "Flare up" of fermentation activity, but this is short lived, and things settle down to that slow pace in a few minutes.

I have also warmed up the wine to about 70 - 72 degrees. Still it is progressing rather slowly.

I am thinking of giving it a good stir tonight.

So, the good news.. I am knocking down the remaining brix. The bad news is that this is happening VERY slowly.

I thought once it gets above 10% alcohol the yeast can't use the nutrients and they only risk contamination by spoilage organisms

been stirring it every day now, and have been holding off on adding any more nutrient. happy to say that it is now down to 1 brix remaining, and it is still fermenting. the taste has drastically improved! things are definitely looking up!

been stirring it every day now, and have been holding off on adding any more nutrient. happy to say that it is now down to 1 brix remaining, and it is still fermenting. the taste has drastically improved! things are definitely looking up!

Any idea what made it slow down in the first place? Just curious. Started an Eclipse Chardonnay kit and it hit the 1 brix line and almost stopped, but did crawl to a finish at a SG of .993. Used D47 as the yeast. No Go-Ferm or Fermaid O added. Never had any off aromas, mostly a citrus aroma.

Any idea what made it slow down in the first place? Just curious. Started an Eclipse Chardonnay kit and it hit the 1 brix line and almost stopped, but did crawl to a finish at a SG of .993. Used D47 as the yeast. No Go-Ferm or Fermaid O added. Never had any off aromas, mostly a citrus aroma.

The starting brix on this was too high (29). I added some acidulated water, but I did not add enough (the brix was still too high). I was fermenting with RC 212, but this yeast just simply could not survive in the high alcohol environment and died off short of full fermentation.

I ended up adding some EC 1118, a champagne yeast, that has a lot more alcohol tolerance. It has been slowly fermenting now for the last 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back