Removing sweetness from wine after potassium sorbate help?!?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made some elderberry/damson/apple mix wine a couple of weeks ago. I made it with baker's yeast and fortified it with brandy and spiced rum once the airlock bubbling had stopped. I did not need to back sweeten it as it was sweet enough for my liking the way it was. I added some potassium sorbate to ensure the fermentation would stop. I then remembered that I wanted to make a dry bottle or 2 for my friend :slp. Ugh! I know it was a foolish mistake, I am new at this.

Is it too late now to add more yeast to a couple of liters of it to make it dry? Is there anything I can do to counteract the effects of the potassium sorbate or something like that? Anything at all to help make it dry? Your help is much appreciated. :slp. :ib :( :?

Last edited:
You have many reasons why it likely will not ferment to dry. First reason, you used bread yeast which dies off at low alcohol. Next you fortified it with brandy and rum, insuring the yeast will go no further. You then added sorbate which won't kill the yeast but prevents it from reproducing and continuing fermentation. I believe you are stuck with what you have.

Yea you can try (very small chance of fermentation)... Which is going to be annoying because after that your going to need to let it clear again for another couple weeks... Even if it didn't ferment at all. All the yeast would need to settle again.

I would recommend blending this batch with another if possible- I do not believe that this will take off again in fermentation by adding yeast or anything you do to it .

Latest posts

Back