bottle opening vs cork?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menerdari

Reaction score
I received some bottles from a friend and I noticed some of them looked like smaller openings so I measured them.
Half the bottles are 18.5mm so they should not be too much of an issue but the other half are only 18mm, standard size is 19mm.
Now the question, I use #9 corks with a floor corker, I imagine I wouldn't have a problem getting the corks into those bottles but getting them out later might be an issue.
I hate to buy smaller corks just for a hand full of bottles.
Would you cork them up with the #9? buy #8 corks (maybe get some more smaller bottles before they dry out too much)
or just not use the bottles?

I have a few bottles like that an used the same #9 corks. You can get them in with a floor corker (little tough) and you can get them out (again a little tough) but you need one of the bench top cork screws that gets a lot of pull to retrieve them. If you have other bottles you may wish to use them. I used a bunch one time. (they were Vinho Verde bottles) Luckily I now have plenty of regular clear bottles so that case just sits now looking lonely. The #8's will definitely insert easier.

I received some bottles from a friend and I noticed some of them looked like smaller openings so I measured them.
Half the bottles are 18.5mm so they should not be too much of an issue but the other half are only 18mm, standard size is 19mm.
Now the question, I use #9 corks with a floor corker, I imagine I wouldn't have a problem getting the corks into those bottles but getting them out later might be an issue.
I hate to buy smaller corks just for a hand full of bottles.
Would you cork them up with the #9? buy #8 corks (maybe get some more smaller bottles before they dry out too much)
or just not use the bottles?

You probably did this but I would double check they are wine bottles. You don't want to try corking something like a beer bottle, the glass isn't thick enough to support the cork and the neck could break on you.

Latest posts

Back