How many grapes to buy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamovineyard

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up about 100lbs of chancellor grapes this weekend. I'm fairly new to wine making, done several kits and a couple small batches with my own grapes. Anyway the problem I forsee is ending up with 5 gallons of wine in a six gallon carboy. I've never really come across this issue before. Do I just have to get smaller carboys to keep airspace to a minimum? I have read that you can fill that space with a different gas to keep oxygen out but I have no idea if that's true. I could try to reserve another 20lbs of grapes as well just to be sure I'll get. 6 gallons.

You should have enough for 6 gallons plus a little. I would get a half gallon jug for what does not fit in the 6 gallon carboy.

All above are right.... But to answer your question. You may want to invest in a few pounds of glass marbles for the future.....

I would suggest that if you are buying 100 pounds of grapes and you have a 6 gallon carboy, you will need either a 1 gallon or a half gallon jug for the overage you will have. I would be very surprised if you do not end up with more than 7 gallons of wine assuming you crush and press well. Good luck.

Back