To filter my wine or not??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Reaction score
Hi guys

I was just wondering on your thoughts on whether or not to filter wines

The kits I have used are high end Selection, Eclipe and I have no problem with the white wines as they go through my Harris Filter reasonably fast but the reds take ages and I am wondering if I actually have to do this with them??

The reds are reasonably clear by this stage anyway?

Would really appreciate your thoughts?

I bought the whole house filter setup and rarely ever use it. Most of my wines clear on their own because I usually don't bottle until they are about a year old.

I bought the whole house filter setup and rarely ever use it. Most of my wines clear on their own because I usually don't bottle until they are about a year old.

I'm with Thig I've tried various set ups and didn't see the need. I just let gravity and age do their thing.

So you guys aren't adding anything to clear the wine either...just age?

So you guys aren't adding anything to clear the wine either...just age?

It is all depending on what you are making -
skeeter - yes definitely sparkoloid
whites - typically yes if they don't tend to clear easily on their own sometimes
reds - start with bentonite

Filtering all depends on how long I can let them sit and age and whether it is red or white. I would typically filter whiter than reds.

I didn't say that LOL I ad Super Clear (chitisan and Kisosol) to every batch. Just as an insurance policy.

Thanks for the clarification. I am new to wine making and so far only have two batches and both came both those.

I had a peach melomel that would not clear after a year. Two weeks in a refrigerator at 40 degrees and it is crystal clear.

Sweet wines that are ready in a few weeks, yes. Long aging reds that bulk age for months, there is no need to IMO.

I made Apricot wine this year and had to bottle it early, as I needed the equipment. 2 and 3 months later, in the bottle it still looks as cloudy as the day I bottled it. I've had Apple and Elderberry clear up nicely, using only gravity, but takes a few months, but the progress is slow but steady.

Latest posts

Back