wild vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
What do you use to kill wild vines around your house, those creeping up the brick walls? round-up?

I have a friend who wanted to get rid of a row of grapes that were kind of struggling. So, she sprayed them with roundup. The next spring they sprung back to life and grew better than ever. Go figure.

I have a friend who wanted to get rid of a row of grapes that were kind of struggling. So, she sprayed them with roundup. The next spring they sprung back to life and grew better than ever. Go figure.

I guess round up only kills the leaves, so that just pruned the vine, by chemical.

As a farmer, let me clear up a few things about Roundup.

It WILL kill most everything if you pay attention to the dilution rate. The solution has to be stronger for Roundup to kill woody plants and vines than it is for grass. People buy pre-diluted stuff and they think one size fits all. Nope. Weak solutions intended for grass will only kill the leaves.

A great solution for killing hard to kill woody plants is to mix Roundup and 2-4-D amine together in a single solution. This is dual-action stuff that will knock it dead. There will be a more chemical smell right after application than just with Roundup.

Do give it enough time to work before cutting off the vines or weeds. It takes 2-3 weeks for complete systemic kill.

Please mix Roundup strong if it is needed that way. Under-treatment has resulted in an expanding list of weeds in the USA that are mostly or totally resistant to it, and that can be bad for agriculture and the food supply in the future.

Latest posts

Back