mullberry wine from just juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmrussell

Junior
Reaction score
hi folks. i posted a few months ago about making a batch of mullberry wine from just juice. i am in the clearing phase as it has completed fermentation a few months ago. starting sg was 1.092, it stopped at .990. i have racked it off 4 times now and i am still getting some sediment. more like scum slick on the very bottom. i am using cheese cloth as i rack it.
How many more times should i rack it before bottling? i am wondering if this is just a nature of the beast from using just juice. your thoughts and comments are welcome and needed. thank you.

I would keep bulk aging and racking as long as it keeps dropping sediment. If you bottle now it'll just drop in the bottle which isn't ideal. Remember to keep up on your sulfite addition every 3 months when you rack

YOu may be oxidizing it as you strain it, cheese cloth will do nothing to strain out yeast cells, let it set with some KM on it, mulberry not always the easiest to keep good. A little oak if you like oak, like 25-50% the normal dose I think helps it by adding some tannins to stabalize it. WVMJ

Latest posts

Back