Fermenting wine skins in cap turning brown

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmon4u

Junior
Reaction score
First time making red wine, and not sure about grapes using.

The problem is the 'cap' on primary fermenting grape skins has turned brown. It is day 8, and I have been stirring cap back into mixture once a day. It has a lid, but was never sealed. i will check SG in 3 days.

Is this normal for grapes skins in cap to turn brown? It is hard to tell what color juice is at this point, but does not seem very purple.

The grape were fresh from neighbors yard, and did not appear very purple to begin with.

Is it ok that 'cap' and skins have turned brown? Did I use wrong grapes for fermenting with skins? Is this and oxidation problem and batch going bad?

Kind of new at this, but know the basic process. Thanks for help

What kind of grapes did you use? I don't think it should be a problem. Does the wine smell and taste ok?

if added proper sugar, yeast and nutrients fermentation should be done about this time. measure your sg should be done. Brown could be result of drawing all the color from the grape skins not a problem.

Thanks for help! I think it turned out alright and just got worried for nothing. We will see if spoils down the road, but I think I calculated right sugar to add, plus preservative. Plus i added extra nutrients for yeast.

I do not know what kind of grapes, but they appear to be table grapes from neighbors yard. The grapes are from mature vines at least 20-30 years old. I live in the greater Portland, Oregon area (Beaverton).

I think you are correct: ' Brown could be result of drawing all the color from the grape skins not a problem'.

I tested the final SG and it was at 0.995. The color was very light red to light purple, so I suspect these were not wine grapes. I did not taste it, but will in a month or two when I re-rack.

Thanks for your help and glad there is this type of forum to help us 'sophomore' wine makers.

Back