Primary to Secondary transfer - should I transfer seddiment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViNesv

Reaction score
Up to now I assumed that when I transfer wine (from kit) from primary to secondary fermenter (carboy) I should leave all sediments in primary.
Was I doing this wrong? I am reading here that:
Transfer does not mean rack. While the solids are strained off and discarded, the liquid and lees are poured through a funnel into the secondary.​
Is that right, should I transfer into carboy everything that is liquid (except rasins, oak)?

Up to now I assumed that when I transfer wine (from kit) from primary to secondary fermenter (carboy) I should leave all sediments in primary.
Assumption correct.

No, just rack (transfer) it through your racking cane, leaving the sediment (gross lees) behind. By bringing everything over into secondary, you will have a ton of sediment in your secondary.

Far be it from me, a mere dilettante, to contradict Jack Keller, but I think he overstates the necessity to bring over all the yeast from primary. At least for kits (which is the only thing I have experience with). I suppose that keeping the lees, as he suggests, lessens the chances of a stuck fermentation in secondary, and perhaps this is important for some difficult-to-ferment musts. However, as DJ says, you are pretty safe racking off the gross lees in this situation, as you have been doing.

Far be it from me, a mere dilettante

Paul,

You made me look up dilettante. If he was alive my Dad would be proud of your usage (and the fact that you made me look the word up in a dictionary). He loved the English language and the variety of words that he could use in various situations. I believe it was a product of attending Central High in Phila. Keep up the good work!

Craig, I have to respectfully disagree with you although it is not your fault. Paul is anything but a dilettante when it comes to wine making. He is just being typically and overly modest.

Rocky, I was only commenting on his usage of the word in general, was not making a judgement on whether it applied to the situation or not. Actually never considered it, was more enamored that he used a word that I didn't know the meaning of and had to look up. My Dad always challenged us as kids to learn our native language to the fullest. Can't say that I every reached the level of word usage that would have made him proud, but I still try to expand my vocabulary.

Now I have to go and micturate, been drinking too much wine.

Never figured out why he went to Central High, they lived on Chestnut Street, so it was quite a drive. I know my Grandpa was an academic since he taught at U of Penn, so I guess he was the driving force behind that. My Dad never pushed us towards any certain school or career, it was up to us. That's the way I am handling it with my offspring.

Latest posts

Back