Acidity levels--Sangiovese/Barbera

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekjames100

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just crushed 400 pounds of Sangiovese 72% Barbera 28%.

Brix at 23 which I am happy about

ph checked 3 samples 3.50, 3.53, 3.57
TA checked 3 sample-- .975, .90, .788.

Also--the final sample was done after it settled out with all the must on the bottom and the juice separated. I took the sample from the top(juice only). Is that more or less accurate?

I assume some variation in samples and testing equipment(using Hanna 98127 and titrating TA to 8.2)

Bottom line is that is have high acidity but good pH. I know Barbera are known for high acidity but I added them to the Sangiovese for some color, structure and mouthfeel.

What would you guys do? I think I'm gonna pitch my yeast(using bm45) rather than mess around and complicate things. What do you think? Added opti red, lallizyme exams well.

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited:
based on ph the .788 reading is more correct. I would go ahead ferment once wine is cleared do taste tests to determine if other actions is required. if planning on doing MLF acid level will also reduce.

I would let em roll. After MLF you can always cold stabilize to try and drop some more acid if needed but I doubt you will.

Per morewine instructions I blend the must for a while then filter it with a coffee filter to get rid of the solids. They argue you end up with something closer to what you have at the end of ferment, and there is definitely more color to the sample doing it this way. I don't think it should have a big effect on TA but I have never tried another way to compare.

Pitched yeast Thursday, Brix 23. 72 hours later Brix is zero. I guess I'll take it to -2 and press. I was expecting next Sunday but looks like I'm gonna be about 6 days earky

Back