Other Igobru

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawzero

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Igobru concentrate kits listed on ebay and elsewhere? Opinions?

I have no direct experience, but these look pretty crappy.

First of all, they are 1/2 gallon of concentrate at 68 Brix, and it says to make 5 gallons of wine from this. If you add 4.5 gallons of water to this concentrate, you will get a Brix of 8.8, or SG of 1.035, for a potential alcohol content of about 6% ABV. Pretty thin and weak stuff. Apparently, you are supposed to add some sugar to get more alcohol, but of course this will not help the thinness.

Secondly, hmmmm, 68 brix concentrate, with some SO2? Where have I heard that number before... :? Ah, yes, that is the exact specification of Alexander's Sun Country concentrates! Hey, and whaddya know, all the varietals that Igobru carries happens to be ones that Sun Country makes! Right down to blush Zinfandel!

Alexander's Sun Country concentrates are a 46 oz can, and are widely available for $20, so are cheaper per oz. than these kits. Of course, these kits contain yeast, etc., so you would have to evaluate yourself which is a better deal in your case.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I would think Alexander's is better. :s

I have no direct experience, but these look pretty crappy.

First of all, they are 1/2 gallon of concentrate at 68 Brix, and it says to make 5 gallons of wine from this. If you add 4.5 gallons of water to this concentrate, you will get a Brix of 8.8, or SG of 1.035, for a potential alcohol content of about 6% ABV. Pretty thin and weak stuff. Apparently, you are supposed to add some sugar to get more alcohol, but of course this will not help the thinness.

Secondly, hmmmm, 68 brix concentrate, with some SO2? Where have I heard that number before... :? Ah, yes, that is the exact specification of Alexander's Sun Country concentrates! Hey, and whaddya know, all the varietals that Igobru carries happens to be ones that Sun Country makes! Right down to blush Zinfandel!

Alexander's Sun Country concentrates are a 46 oz can, and are widely available for $20, so are cheaper per oz. than these kits. Of course, these kits contain yeast, etc., so you would have to evaluate yourself which is a better deal in your case.
First of all you really should not pass judgement on something you have not tried. I have purchased several of iGoBru's wine kits and all have been exceptional. YOU have to read the details in their eBay sales for these kits. You are not merely taking the wine concentrate and adding water. You have to add sugar based on what type of wine you desire dry or sweet. These kits are stated to be for the "beginner" wine maker who doesn't want to spend a lot of money to try wine making. I'm a simple wine guy who like homemade wine on the sweeter side. For my purpose these wines are GREAT. Easy to follow instructions too! I have asked many questions during my very first batch of wine and they answered me VERY promptly, were VERY friendly and knowledgeable too. These guys are great, period. If you like high-end wine kits you should just stick to those high $$$ kits. If you like simple and rewarding home wine kits that everyone can afford then I would suggest the guys at igobru. I'm a customer for life!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I would think Alexander's is better. :s
First of all you really should not pass judgement on something you have not tried. I have purchased several of iGoBru's wine kits and all have been exceptional. YOU have to read the details in their eBay sales for these kits. You are not merely taking the wine concentrate and adding water. You have to add sugar based on what type of wine you desire dry or sweet. These kits are stated to be for the "beginner" wine maker who doesn't want to spend a lot of money to try wine making. I'm a simple wine guy who like homemade wine on the sweeter side. For my purpose these wines are GREAT. Easy to follow instructions too! I have asked many questions during my very first batch of wine and they answered me VERY promptly, were VERY friendly and knowledgeable too. These guys are great, period. If you like high-end wine kits you should just stick to those high $$$ kits. If you like simple and rewarding home wine kits that everyone can afford then I would suggest the guys at igobru. I'm a customer for life!

You dug this thread up from the depths and then responded with the same response to both posts defending the product. I'm going to guess you sell these kits on Ebay?

Lol.

No, no...I'm totally sure this brand new poster was just perusing this forum, just happened into the kit winemaking sub, then was looking for some light reading, read back 8 months, found this tiny thread and just decided to comment. C'mon...benefit of the doubt?!

I haven't tried crack either but prefer to pass judgment on it.

I haven't tried crack either but prefer to pass judgment on it.

You're Crack-a-lackin?

hqdefault.jpg

You dug this thread up from the depths and then responded with the same response to both posts defending the product. I'm going to guess you sell these kits on Ebay?

Nope not the seller. Was told of this by a friend who searched on google after I told them about the wine I made. He told me of the negative comments. Yes I commented on both....not a big fan of haters such as yourself. If you're going to hate on me for a comment and provoke other people to hate then take a closer look at yourself.

I find the High End kits simple and rewarding home wine kits as you hve stated.

I started making wine almost 30 years ago with very simple affordable kits. They were drinkable but that is all I can say about them. Over the years I tried may different ones, but always worked up the quality scale. I always found the more expersive kits had more to offer than the less expensive. Maybe my tastes have changed over the years but today I only make the high end kits. The quality and taste is worth every dime I spend.

I always tell friends, when asked what type of kit they should buy, to get the most expensive kit they can afford. Some make costco kits for a buck a bottle and some the top end for $5. They make all ranges of kits because we are all different. The cheaper kits outsell the premium kits hands down. To each their own.

cheers

Opinions: Like elbows and a$$#0&**, everybody's got one or two...

My opinion: if this is what rings your bell, good for you. But, adding sugar doesn't sound like igobru is really that much more complex than the Alexander Sun products. You might think about seeing what else is out there, like the Island Mist or Orchard Breezin' kits (which are at about the same price point as these) or any of the mid or upper level kits that are out there to form a basis of comparison. If you have, great - your post didn't read like you had, tho.

All kits are "beginner friendly" - anyone with 6th grade reading comprehension and some basic math skills can do quite well making them.

Namaste.

Nope not the seller. Was told of this by a friend who searched on google after I told them about the wine I made. He told me of the negative comments. Yes I commented on both....not a big fan of haters such as yourself. If you're going to hate on me for a comment and provoke other people to hate then take a closer look at yourself.

I didn't hate on you, but I most certainly can if you like.

Never knew the product existed unless someone had dug up this thread.

No judgement here but has anyone seen the "Babylon" products on the 'bay containing only dried fruits & herbs for wine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back