WineXpert Barrel question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevetz

Junior
Reaction score
I have a WE Australian Petit Verdot and Passport Brunello ready to hit 90 days in hungarian oak barrels. Next in line are a 8 month old Showcase Red Mountain Cab and 7 month old Chateau du Pays. However, neither have completely cleared yet which is strange because all my other wines clear sooner than this without using clearing agents. Both are degassed well using the AIO pump.

Even though I don't normally use the clearing agents, should I clear before transferring to the barrels or just transfer and let more settling out occur while barrel aging?

Should work either way you will just have some sediment to try and clean out and remove the next time you swap out. Be careful with the Chateu du Pays. That wine should only be very lightly oaked.

I have a WE Australian Petit Verdot and Passport Brunello ready to hit 90 days in hungarian oak barrels. Next in line are a 8 month old Showcase Red Mountain Cab and 7 month old Chateau du Pays. However, neither have completely cleared yet which is strange because all my other wines clear sooner than this without using clearing agents. Both are degassed well using the AIO pump.

Even though I don't normally use the clearing agents, should I clear before transferring to the barrels or just transfer and let more settling out occur while barrel aging?

I would clear the wine before adding to the barrel. if you should have any problems you know that each item was separate. that is a cloudy wine into barrel should problems occur was it the cloudy wine or was it some other reason . do each step completely before going to the next step.

From Cellar Craft:
Cellar Craft Showcase and Sterling red wine grape skin kits will now include two (2) kieselsol/chitosan dual packs. Internal clearing trials have shown that using two packs of kieselsol and chitosan result in a clearer red wine than our current clearing process which uses just one pack of each agent. The Cellar Craft instruction set already addresses the clearing process for kits which contain two packs each of kieselsol & chitosan.

I have a few kits trying to start that have one of both, and some that have, two of both and the instructions are reversed. Guess they packed the instructions and forgot something, LOL!

Just a FYI - I do make all bung adapters for the Allinonewinepump so you don't have to pour it in or lift your wine to your barrel.

Thanks to all for the advice. I decided to change the rotation and move some younger but clearer wines to the barrels now. That should give more time for the others to clear - hopefully without addition of any clearing agents.

Steve, I will contact separately about the barrel bung adapter. Also interested in the headspace eliminator.

Kevin

Thanks to all for the advice. I decided to change the rotation and move some younger but clearer wines to the barrels now. That should give more time for the others to clear - hopefully without addition of any clearing agents.

Steve, I will contact separately about the barrel bung adapter. Also interested in the headspace eliminator.

Kevin

@Kevin

Please PM me and I will call you and ask your barrel size opening and we will find the appropriate filler for your All in one wine pump to fill your barrels.

Back