WineXpert PITCHED MY FIRST BATCH!!! Austrailian Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsfan

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Very excited and nervous! If you have seen me post before...I am new to wine making and about 2 months ago ish...I bought my first kit. it was the Winexpert World Vineyard Australian Shiraz. I wasn't supposed to make it just yet as we have some family staying with us while they are waiting on their house to be ready. I was going to wait until they were moved out but after 2 months and several delays....it finally got the better of me so I started the kit tonight!

I did make one stupid mistake....

I put in the Oak packages BEFORE testing my SGA so when I did test it, the hydrometer kept gathering oak. I kept spinning it off but before I could really get a reading....it was covered in oak again! LOL

Anyway, I did finally feel comfortable that I was reading right at 1090

I was so excited pitching that yeast! Now I am just sitting here watching this bucked! Shouldn't it be ready yet? LOL

Anyway...I believe that I over filled the airlock. In fact, I am positive I over filled the airlock! Will this be a problem or is it no big deal?

Now, time for my banana-peach! This is going to get expensive.

I did buy some toys during the 2 months I was waiting. I purchased the All-In-One wine pump...and a whole home filter kit (the one Steve recommends). So now I need a place to store 1,936 carboys! because I have a feeling I am about to start buying them by the dozen! LOL ;-) :HB

Steve, relax. Breathe in and exhale.

Okay. Hydrometer and oak. Just sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in the bucket, one less thing to clean.

Get a comfy chair and a place within reach for your wine glass. I have spent many an evening snoozing as I watch my wine age (or wait for it to ferment). Remember, it might take a day or two to really get going, so don't freak out. It will get old after a while until you figure out that you can buy a wine thief and steal a few tastes every now and then. Just make sure you have some extra "like" wine to top the carboy up.

I like the toys you bought. Some day my kids will leave and I will be able to afford an all-in-one.

Welcome to the hobby. I will enjoy watching your infatuation grow so I can justify mine to my wife.

I like the toys you bought. Some day my kids will leave and I will be able to afford an all-in-one.

Welcome to the hobby. I will enjoy watching your infatuation grow so I can justify mine to my wife.

Well, do you REALLY need a wife? ;-) lol

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to seeing how this kit turns out!

I do have a wine thief as well! I think I am going to be buying an oak barrel next. LOL

I am not rich....I just forget to pay my bills! ;-)

Woke up at 5am....and I have fermentation happening! I was so excited to check the bucket to see air being pushed through the airlock! about every 5 seconds a nice bubble comes up. Temp seems to be at about 75-76.

:)

You're hooked already! Welcome to the club!

Woke up at 5am....and I have fermentation happening! I was so excited to check the bucket to see air being pushed through the airlock! about every 5 seconds a nice bubble comes up. Temp seems to be at about 75-76.

:)

Hi, welcome to the forum.
To my understanding you are making your first wine and just pitched your yeast. I am not an expert and also new, but to my understanding, at this stage, during the primary fermentation, you should NOT keep your must under airtight lock. Covering your primary bin with a sanitized towel or cloth or loosely placing the lid over it is recommended (this is to keep any bugs out. A single vinegar fly in the must can result your must to become vinegar, or so I've been told). To be healthy, your yeast needs oxygen and quite a bit of it during the primary stage.
Once your SG reaches 1.010 or less, the wine is ready to be transferred into the secondary carboy with airlock. This is where your wine will reach complete fermentation.

Someone please confirm this.

Last edited:
To my understanding you are making your first wine and just pitched your yeast. I am not an expert and also new, but to my understanding, at this stage, during the primary fermentation, you should NOT keep your must under airtight lock. Covering your primary bin with a sanitized towel or cloth or loosely placing the lid over it is recommended (this is to keep any bugs out. A single vinegar fly in the must can result your must to become vinegar, or so I've been told). To be healthy, your yeast needs oxygen and quite a bit of it during the primary stage.
Once your SG reaches 1.010 or less, the wine is ready to be transferred into the secondary carboy with airlock. This is where your wine will reach complete fermentation.

Someone please confirm this.

That's how I ferment. I lay the lid on the bucket and cover with a towel. I never use a air lock or snap down the lid.

I agree with the above. loosen your lid and just have it sitting on top or as others do, get rid of the lid and put a clean towel over the top. I usually rack to the carboy at 1.000 and then put it under airlock

enjoy the ride and cheers

At this stage, you should NOT keep your must under airtight lock.

Hey there! First off...thank you for the reply! Secondly...this seems to be somewhat a controversial issues. I have read and seen different things and for the sake of simplicity I opted to just follow directions since this was my first batch. As I get more comfortable with the process I am sure I will deviate and experiment...but for now, the directions on the kit said use an airlock so that's what I did. lol

Although, I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts on this. What would be the noticeable difference in the wine without using an airlock vs using one?

Thanks,
Steve

I disagree with no airlock. I always ferment under airlock unless it is in my 20 gal brute trashcan. I think it works fine both ways. Yeast needs oxygen to initially grow exponentially until fermentation starts. There is plenty of oxygen in there from the get go.

I've never had a stuck fermentation. I think the highest final gravity reading I've had is 0.994. Either way will work, use whichever makes you relax more.

I agree with craig ( @ceeaton ) that it will work out fine either way. I have used both methods, and cannot tell any difference. These days, I just lay the lid loosely on the bucket, but I believe you will be fine under airlock, too.

Welcome to the hobby!! You are fine either way on the lid, wine benefits from extra oxygen at the beginning but lots of batches are made under air lock. There's also flexibility as to when you rack to a carboy, meaning at dry or earlier. Wine making is a hobby, not a job!

Ok, fermentation is going strong! Steady bubbling happening in the airlock...very exciting! So, I have been told so many different things from different people. 1 home brew store told me "don't let your temp get out of the 72-75 range, it can ruin the wine. The other home brew store told me that when making wine, you don't really have to worry about it. that yeast will thrive and do well in any temperature range that humans are comfortable in. They told me if its in the mid to high 60's, that it may take a little longer to ferment, but that it would be fine and would not affect the wine. Conversely, they told me if the temp was 80 to 85...that it would be fine and would not affect the outcome of the wine. As well, I have read the same! It's so confusing to decide what is right, and what is wrong. Right now, I am in simi-melt down mode because the temperature strip that I put on the outside of the fermenter is reading 81-82......

What I WANT to do is just let it go...its obviously fermenting well. But at the same time...I don't want the quality of the wine or the flavor to be negatively impacted because it appears to be running a little warm.

Thoughts, suggestions? Should I worry, or let it ride?

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the hobby!! You are fine either way on the lid, wine benefits from extra oxygen at the beginning but lots of batches are made under air lock. There's also flexibility as to when you rack to a carboy, meaning at dry or earlier. Wine making is a hobby, not a job!

Hey Heather! Thanks for the reply. Much appreciate the warm welcomes!

;-)

What I WANT to do is just let it go...its obviously fermenting well. But at the same time...I don't want the quality of the wine or the flavor to be negatively impacted because it appears to be running a little warm.

Thoughts, suggestions? Should I worry, or let it ride?

It's a red. Let it ride. The kits want you to stay in that small temperature range because they want it to be full proof and work every time.

If it was a white, I'd try and cool it down. I have a Chardonnay kit that I'm waiting for the temperatures in my basement to fall a bit before I start it. Too vigorous of a fermentation can drive off some of the varietal aromas. With a red I'd think it would add to the flavor complexity, depending on the yeast.

@starsfan

I am glad you are posting and letting us know your thoughts and concerns !

Airlock - Just make sure that you have enough headspace or use some sort of a towel to cover your vessel - to keep out the nasty bugs at this time of year

Temperature - I believe you should be OK - I always ferment in a cooler part of the basement - so when fermentation does take place it will not sky rocket as if I would of put it in a warmer part of the house.

Please sit back and enjoy the hobby - just remember -patience ,patience and then a little more patience.

Latest posts

Back