I thought I knew what the taste should be...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh0330

Reaction score
I've never tasted blackberry wine before.
But,,, I thought I knew what my blackberry wine should taste like.
I was hoping for a pinot-noir-like taste. I was also expecting something like a very berry/fruity-shake-like-but-not-sweet but also expecting raspberry vodka-like taste.
I realized today, I actually I had no idea what I was thinking. I have no idea what I should be expecting.

I just came back from a 2 weeks-ish family gathering.
At least the family gathering was great lol.
I left my wine in my secondary unattended in my apartment. The temperatures had 3 hot days reaching a high of 28 degrees celsius (thats 82fahrenheit for those like my weather forecast site) but mostly around 70 degrees (and 68 fahrenheit).

It's been 27 days since pitching yeast.
I've already moved into secondary (after 10days) and racked it (after 6 more days).

I was really impressed by the clarity of the wine today(the bentonite did its job).
However, I just tasted my wine today. This was the first time taste testing this in an actual wine glass. In the future I will do this every time for taste testing as you because its much easier to taste/smell the wine... duhhh silly me...
and then, I was disappointed.

I really don't want to say this, but I feel like either I don't like blackberry wine or the taste might be off. I also realized I do not know what off tasting wine taste like.
There is a... -to put it nicely waxy/rosey/deep-raspberry-like taste.
-to put it bad musky/maybe moldy (I don't know what mold tastes lol)/sulfur-like (I don't know what sulfur tastes like either-I only used 2 campden tablets but maybe, although unlikely, I didn't rinse my jug/container thoroughly enough after sulfite sterilizing).
-in between, ***licorice (I think this is the best description. I hate licorice but at least maybe it means it didn't go bad)

One thing I do know is that I'd prefer a 40$ Napa Valley pinot-noir bottle over my wine lol.
Maybe I was expecting too much.
Maybe blackberry wine should taste like this and I just don't like blackberry wine? Or, maybe I just did something wrong and there was a bacterial takeover which destroyed my wine...?

When I first crushed my blackberries, the smell of fresh-extremely ripe blackberries were amazing. The aroma was very fruity, maybe even flowery/rosey and just awesome. And the taste was amazing! Without any sugar it still tasted like the best blackberry jam I've ever had (I should have kept a jar of this but I was willing to make the sacrifice for my wine).
This is what gave me the high-expectations.
However, after a few days after pitching my yeast, this smell became more funkier/muskier not the same brilliant fresh crushed berry smell (this is to be expected right?). The beginning flavours were still "berry" fruity :d but the aftertaste was pure yeasty-ness.
Now, the yeasty aftertaste is gone but there is that licorice-y taste.

Taste is so difficult to describe in words. I was making up my own words but I hope someone understood :p:p

Thanks for reading all of this and thanks in advance for any input!

You wine should taste just like a blackberry. Can you post your recipe and what procedures you done? Also, starting gravity and endng gravity. Did you add any tannin to it? You would be surprised at what tannins could do for a wine. Again, please post up your recipe and I know there will be a lot of members who will be able to help you.

You wine should taste just like a blackberry. Can you post your recipe and what procedures you done? Also, starting gravity and endng gravity. Did you add any tannin to it? You would be surprised at what tannins could do for a wine. Again, please post up your recipe and I know there will be a lot of members who will be able to help you.

Hi, yes, sorry lol.
I actually have pretty much a log on http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50635.

Recipe (one gallon):
2.6lb of blackberries
1.5lb sugar
3 pints of boiling water
1 campden tablet
K1 V1116 yeast (I think I should have used 71b)
1/2 tsp pectolase
1.25 L of Pure blueberry juice to top up.

Gravity reading:
initial = SG 1.1125
current = SG 1.006

Tannins:
25g toasted oak powder for 7days during primary (I added it 3 days after pitching yeast).

Last edited:
Back