Other Favorite kit of 2013-2014?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemperanceOwl

Reaction score
What's the very best kit you've done 8 months to 2 years ago? Long enough to have a little age, but not so long that the kit isn't available or it will be too long for some of us to wait...
I'll start. I haven't been at this very long, but the RJS Carmenere I started in December 2014 is already really good. It was the RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Chilean Carmenere with Carmenere Skins. I will do that one again!
I'd love to hear about your favorites!

I made a Mezza Luna Red last October, one of my first wines. It was awful so I decided not to serve it to anyone, but to drink it up myself just to get rid of it. Eight months later, when I had only 3 bottles left, I realized that the strong acid taste that I dislike was no longer present and that the wine was smooth with a hint of fruitiness.

It was at this point that I realized that wine needs time to age and I regretted having drunk it up so early.

Mezza Luna Red is an good table wine if you allow it to age for eight months. I recommend it.

Kenridge Showcase 2013 California Grand Red (a little over two years) and Eclipse Piedmont Barolo (almost two years).

Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon

Started in 1/14. Had a half bottle left from previous day and was totally blown away. the tannins were soften and the flavors came through. had a dinner party earlier this week, decanted a bottle a day before and received great reviews, compared to $20 plus commercial wines.

I made a Mezza Luna Red last October, one of my first wines. It was awful so I decided not to serve it to anyone, but to drink it up myself just to get rid of it. Eight months later, when I had only 3 bottles left, I realized that the strong acid taste that I dislike was no longer present and that the wine was smooth with a hint of fruitiness.

It was at this point that I realized that wine needs time to age and I regretted having drunk it up so early.

Mezza Luna Red is an good table wine if you allow it to age for eight months. I recommend it.

The WE Mezza Luna Red was my first wine, started last October. It was ok over Christmas, then by July it was awful. Not sure what happened, but it is acidic and harsh. I'll set it aside and try it again in a few more months. Glad to hear yours has softened!!

Well, my answer will not help you. The best of my efforts so far has been the CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab. It is not available any longer, (but I have one kit still lined up yet to make :r).

I don't have too many others that are in my drinking rotation yet, but, of those, the best seems to be a CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo or a WE Selection California Viognier.

My LHBS just started carrying RJS, so perhaps I will give your Carmenere (which I adore in commercial versions) a try.

Oh, I forgot all about white wines. Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc for the win!

Eclipse Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel for me.... :dg

The best of my efforts so far has been the CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab.

The CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab has won many awards over the years. My LHBS told me that Cellar Craft lost their contract with the vineyard that supplied the juice, which it the reason it's no longer available. Fortunately, I bought a kit last December and bottled it this past July.

Can anyone comment on the 2013-2014 CC Showcase Chateau du Pays or an alternate company's Chateau du Roi? An article in the August-September Winemaker magazine mentioned this blend as one that a drinker of soft fruity reds, like Pinot Noir, would like. It's currently available at the LHBS I frequent.

Can anyone comment on the 2013-2014 CC Showcase Chateau du Pays or an alternate company's Chateau du Roi? An article in the August-September Winemaker magazine mentioned this blend as one that a drinker of soft fruity reds, like Pinot Noir, would like. It's currently available at the LHBS I frequent.

I recently asked a similar question on a new thread, and did not get a lot of traction: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50794

I think I will indeed target the CC Showcase version, although it looks like my LHBS is dropping the CC line in favor of RJS.

I don't know about CC Showcase's Chateau du Pays, but I'm a big fan of Mosti Mondiale's Castel del Papa kits. The low-end Vinifera Noble kit is quite good for a small (7L) kit (quick to age, drinkable within 8 weeks, better after 1.5 years), and the Renaissance version (16L) is supposed to be significantly better.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29988

Last edited:
Made that one once when I was still making reds from kits. It turned out very nice. Not a whole lot of tannin and it could be drunk at a year but still improved all the way up to 2-3 years. Last bottle was almost 3 years old and was fantastic for a kit wine.

So, it sounds like lots of folks have enjoyed Eclipse kits. I have made a high end RJS but have not tried and Eclipse. Maybe today is the day to pick one while Label Peelers still has their sale going! The Eclipse Italian Nebbiolo (formerly Barolo) looks interesting. :)

I should add that I have made two Eclipse kits (Stag's Leap Merlot and Lodi Zinfandel), but they are not even bottled yet. However, both were outstanding at every point in the process. Very optimistic about them.

Both of those sound good, Paul! I'll look forward to hearing how they turn out. When did you start them?

So, it sounds like lots of folks have enjoyed Eclipse kits. I have made a high end RJS but have not tried and Eclipse. Maybe today is the day to pick one while Label Peelers still has their sale going! The Eclipse Italian Nebbiolo (formerly Barolo) looks interesting. :)

My Eclipse Barolo is just about two years old now and starting to get really, really good. I'm trying to stay away from it, because, as good as it is, I think it still has a ton of potential.

It was a close decision with Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot in the mix, but in the end I decided on two big reds: Eclipse Italian Nebbiolo (Barolo) and the Selection International Italian Brunello, both with skins. Just placed the orders on Label Peelers and am looking forward to getting them!

Latest posts

Back