wines meant to be drunk "young"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks, going to be making a mix of full-bodied reds for aging (perhaps a cab/merlot blend) and I would also like to make something that can be drunk fairly young (within 6 to 10 months). What grape varieties would you recommend that are decent as "young" wines?

Also, does a wine's aging period begin once secondary fermentation is complete?

Thanks!

Are you making from kits, juice buckets, grapes? You won't find many full bodied reds that'll be ready in less than a year.

Are you making from kits, juice buckets, grapes? You won't find many full bodied reds that'll be ready in less than a year.

Fresh grape... What about Grenache? My dad used to make it and drink by 6th month...

And it does't have to be full-bodied... medium/light will work.. I am doing this so that I don't touch my full-bodied reds. I want to age those at least a year...

In the 9-10 month range from grapes you possibly could have Grenache, pinot noir, Beaujolais, petit verdot. Another option would be fruit wines like the skeeter pee and dragon's blood that are on the recipe threads. Yet another option would be going with things like hard cider, mead, melomel, etc.

what would you blend the grenache with? I enjoy that wine...

thanks

Back