Petite Sirah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Petite Syrah

I've never made this varietal, I don't think I've ever purchased a bottle of it, so not even sure of the taste, so maybe time to go and get me a bottle to try.

In the meantime, I am thinking to make a small batch of it for the first time.

I thought someone mentioned that this grape had only been used in blends (up until some years ago) and was thought too harsh and tannic to stand on its own without being blended with a lesser tannic/harsh varietal?

I love a Merlot/Cab Sav blend as I think both 'compensate' and compliment with each other.

For those that know this varietal, any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

I have plenty of Merlot/Cab blend and looking to make a wine I've never made, but that it has nice fruit nose/flavor and overall that I can sense a silky taste.

Last edited:
We grow PS in my community and some people love it. As you mentioned, I find it a bit tannic for my taste. If I were to do it, I'd take every step possible to minimize tannins. I did blend PS (15%) with some cab franc I made and the results were excellent.

PS was the first wine I made from grapes; way, way back in the fall of 2013. :D I think it stands on its own just fine, but it is not the 'fruit bomb' that many people seem to like. To me, it has more of an old world feel to it flavor-wise, but big body and mouthfeel of many new world wines, without being overly fruity and/or sweet. My 2013 is still coming around, but I recently opened a bottle of it and am happy with it so far - especially for my first all-grape attempt. I'm making more this year. Mainly for blending this time, but I'll probably have at least half a case of it on its own when I'm done.

Hit the wine store and try a bottle or two. ;)

Thanks guys, wondering if the Syrah is less tannic/harsh to compliment it, and so a good candidate for blending up front.

I made two small batches last year, one with VRB yeast the other with Syrah yeast. Both are very good, but if I remember correctly during bottling we liked the Syrah yeast batch better. Still going to wait a year and then try them again

Rob

I make both Syrah and Petit Syrah and use them exclusively in blends. Sometimes it's a 50/50 of each. Go easy on the press, you may not need any extra tannin added. It sucks up oak easily so go lightly, makes a great Port due to its inky black color and high ABV. It also has a funky aroma profile that goes away after about a year in bulk.

I wonder if I am thinking about making the wrong varietal....I will definitely buy a bottle today/tomorrow to taste.

Any other recommendation for a small batch?
Looking for silky taste and not strong tannins.

Never made/tried these ones:

Alicante, Grenache, Barbera, Cab Franc, Carignane, Tempranillo

I LOVE petit syrah!! Every vintage I have made has won medals in competition!

I encourage you to give this grape a try!

Back History: The way I remember it, Petit Sarah really became a cash crop for growers during prohibition. Home wine making for personal consumption was perfectly legal and many west coast growers stayed afloat by sending grapes to the east coast home winemaking market.

The reason that Petit Syrah became popular is that the grape is thick walled and hold up to travel extremely well, much better than most varietals. On inspection, home winemakers were opting for Petit Syrah and also willing to pay a premium for them.

Tell ya what I do.... Do a simple Wiki search for any kind of wine/grape that you can spell. Then read all info there is about it. Don't try to remember it all but somewhere in there you will come across an answer to a question you've not even thought of. There are also plenty of discussion sites, some cursory some in depth which can assist in forming an opinion. READ!! The verdict lies with your tastebuds tho, so give whatever you try a chance!!

I adore Petite Sirah! I love it on its own and when blended with Cabernet Sauvignon. Very deep, tannic, bold wine. It defines bold dry reds!

Little secret neither can physicist...... :)

Interestingly, the only group that scores higher than physicists on the GRE math part is mathematicians, and the only groups that score higher than physicists on the verbal part are philosophers and English majors.

Tell you what, let's go through old posts and find spelling errors for chemists and physicists. The good news: Greg is on your team. The bad news: I count greengrocers' apostrophes as spelling errors! :sm

I am getting two must buckets from m&m of petite Syrah. Can't wait. Had a bottle the other day and realized that I'd be waiting at least 3 years for this one [emoji24]

Latest posts

Back