Chilean Zinfandel- tweaks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Kay

Reaction score
Hey all, last night I racked my Chilean Zin made from a juice pail this spring and its coming along just fine. However, "just fine" is kinda boring especially with several other reds also bulk aging. I was thinking of experimenting with this 6 gallon batch flavor wise. I was thinking some cherry or raspberry flavor, just to change things up a bit. Any thoughts as to what might work well flavor wise, but also advice on the necessary steps to take?

Why not steal a gallon and experiment with that.. "TORANI" (brand) makes simple syrup in a gazillion flavors. or make your own from fresh fruit. A little at a time to the gallon till your tastebuds tell you all is good,,, then if you wish, adjust the remainder of the carboy and age some more:b

Thanks, that sounds like there is alot of potential there. Any flavor additions, either simple syrup or fresh fruit, would also require adding sorbate to prevent a fermentation restart?

Anything you add with fermentable sugars is going to require proper sulfite and sorbate. Torani does make sugar free versions of a lot of their stuff, but I don't know what the substitute sweetener is.

One idea that comes to mind is to make a blackberry f-pac, and add that, along with a little simple syrup.

Like Floandgary said, steal a gallon (or a glass) and do a little experimenting. If you like what you make, then scale up.

If you like the flavor of maraschino cherries, they are pretty easy to integrate and give a great flavor and a boost in sweetness.
If you're going to pull out a gallon and flavor it, take one 12 oz jar of cherries (including the very sugary juice they're packed in) and muddle the whole jar and add it to your gallon in increments to your taste. Make sure your tools are sanitized and as mentioned earlier, sorbate and KMS up to snuff.
I added this to a Zin Blush, gave it a nice color and taste. Assuming you're starting with a clear wine, give it a couple of weeks to settle and clear, and you're good to go.
As an aside, as I was muddling the cherries, I started thinking about muddling fruit (cherries, orange, bitters, etc.) for a bourbon old fashioned and was struck with the idea of making a "Zin Blush Old Fashioned" wine, but haven't attacked that yet.
I bet joeswine has some thoughts on that!!!!!!!!

Pomegranate! I did a zin/pom a couple of years ago, I have four bottles left and it is still awesome.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone- I'll keep this post updated with what I decide and the progress. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back