Rhubarb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKCellars

Reaction score
Normally Rhubarb you want to cut before July 1st, I was wondering if anyone has made a fall batch if wine? I want to cut the Rhubarb but don't want to waste.

I think you're not getting any response because you posted this question in the wrong forum. There's a very active rhubarb thread in the Beginners Forum.

I believe the "rule" about picking rhubarb before July 1 comes from the quality of the stalks declining over time and with higher temps. I don't believe there is anything wrong/contaminated/poisonous or other problem with using them for wine. There's no doubt that during midsummer the quality of the stalks is not the best for baking, but there won't be any problem using them for wine. Just don't use the leaves of course.

I do several harvests over the spring & summer, always leaving at least 3 stalks with leaves, then fertilize immediately. It always sprouts right away. Rhubarb is a water hog and really likes extra nutrients too.

The quality of rhubarb declines throughout the summer - for eating. The stalks become woodier and more fibrous. But the flavors still taste good. So I think for wine it is just fine. What have you got to lose? Go for it.

Latest posts

Back