Riesling didn't ferment...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynnelt

Junior
Reaction score
Husband making a batch of German Riesling (Wine Expert LE 25th anniversary) and it didn't ferment at all. Last batch we made, the airlock was bubbling within a couple of days. We did smell wine after a couple of days, but not so much now. It's been a week.

Anything in particular we can do at this point? Try another yeast?

Thanks ---

Lynne

What was your starting hydrometer reading and what is your ending hydrometer reading

He says the original reading was correct (whatever it was supposed to be, I don't have it in front of me now). Have not done an ending one, it's only been a week. We were thinking about doing another yeast in the morning. But give it a good shake? LOL :)

:D. Seriously. When my carboy looks still a shake makes a big difference. Might also try and toss some nutrient in. Careful though, when I've done that sometimes a mini volcano happens and causes a cleanup chore.

If you don't have starting and current SG's we can't really help. Without any SG measurements how do you know its not completely dry and finished?

Like Mikes says it is really tough to know what is going on without any readings. Not sure in what you mean that the starting sg was correct. Is this a kit? Also, stirring daily really helps in a good fermentation.

Agree with above, most likely you need a fresh packet of yeast.

Also, what is the wine's temperature. If in the 60's (F) or lower, you might not easily get the yeast to activate.

Since you never know what might or might not happen in the fermentation stage, it would be better to do your fermenting in a vessel other than a carboy. Like Julie said and most instructions suggest, a good stir daily promotes healthy fermentation. Post as much info as you can to get the most help!

lack of bubbling does not mean lack of fermentation. Measurements are required. if sg is not at about 1.000 give it a good stir every day, still a problem add some nutrient.

Back