Freezing Grapes for upcoming Move???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fog

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Need some opinions, I will be moving across the country ( 350 Miles ) at the end of the month, The pick-up time for Grapes and Juice pails is the middle of September. I was thinking of Freezing the Grapes and the Juice pails until I move and then start them in the new place. I currently have an empty Freezer that would hold a few pails and the enough grapes to get me by.

The other thought was just forgo this year and just pick-up again next year... :(

Not too sure I want to deal with the move and Starting a few batches all at the same time, so and thoughts, suggestions, Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Well I hate having to fore go a ferment so I'm voting on freezing the grapes and juice.

I froze the grapes from my 16 vines in N. Ga packed them in coolers a few weeks later & drove to S W Fl. Over 600 miles. Made the wine the first few weeks in the new home. Now 3 yrs later still enjoying that wine, only a few bottles left. U know what my vote is! Roy

I can see your problem. I'm sure the frozen juice/must would be fine, but I'd get to my destination and make the wine and leave the boxes to unpack until later. You know, you'll have plenty of time to unpack while it's aging, right? :D

I'm totally on board with what Julie and Roy are saying. But...

I just moved in May (only about 20 miles), and the logistics of managing a ferment which probably would have started within a week of the scheduled move was a lot, on top of everything else. Simple is good so I just skipped the Chilean harvest. It made me a little crazy, but I'll be practically doubling up in a few weeks with the CA harvest. Not a bad tradeoff. Moving all the equipment, along with over 300 bottles, and 60+ gallons of un-bottled wine was enough.

Latest posts

Back