Blind Tasting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saturday, SWMBO and I went up to a friend's house for dinner. I had not seen this friend for about a month and needed to check in on her (she lost her husband in an auto accident 8 months ago).

She ended up making her famous Sunday sauce. To go with it, she pulled out a decanted bottle of red. Offering it to me, she said "tell me what you think of this".

Something about the way she acted made me suspicious. Thinking that I was being set up, I cautiously tasted it.

To my surprise, the nose was wonderful. Great aroma and not too strong on the alcohol. The taste was great, nice color, dark rich, and surprisingly delicious, complex, and well balanced!

I simply ranted about this wine! I was firing off all kinds of questions.. It's definitely a merlot, but from where? It has some age on it, but what's the vintage? Etc.

My friend simply let me rant with a very satisfied grin on her face. Finally, she came clean.. "This is your 2007 Napa Valley Merlot"..

I had lucked into getting my hands on some Napa valley grapes in 2007. The fact that they were available was a fluke and I have never been able to get them again. This particular wine came out especially good and I had opened my last bottle of this wine years ago.

Like most folks here, the better the wine, the more I tend to give away. She has saved this wine and still had another 5 bottles!!!

We all had a good laugh about it. I did a blind tasting on my own wine and loved it! Not to be boastful, but that made me just feel quite proud. I might not make the wine that EVERYBODY likes, but I sure do make the wine that I like!

Back