Press Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
Its Muscadine season in the neighborhood and I'm thinking of making my first ever wine from grapes.
Just to get my feet wet, I'm going to start small. My initial batch will be for three gallons.
Problem: Got nothing to squeeze the grapes with, so I need a couple suggestions.
1. The simplest and cheapest way to go is the low tech 4X4. Wrap the base with plastic sheet and smack them grapes.
2. Would be the bucket in a bucket method. A bit higher tech and a few more bucks. Also some assembly required. Seems messy.
3. The high tech and completely gorgeous Lowes squeezer mop bucket. Industrial size and about 46 bucks. Wonder how it holds up.
Please let me know which method that worked best for you or if you might have found a better way.
Your help as always, is much appreciated.
Tony

I have not done any of these methods, but I have seen all of them described here.

For only 3 gallons, I know I would just use a 4x4 for crushing them. Pressing is going to be a bigger problem. I think I would go bucket-in-bucket, but perhaps I am just cheap!

Tony 49, HI there, believe U used to live in Cape Coral, Fl & I in Ga. Now ur in S C & I'm in N. Ft. Myers. remember helping U with Peach Wine questions. I just started building a wine press yesterday, too bad your not still in the Cape, U could borrow it. Good luck with the grapes. Roy

Hello FTC. Nice to hear from you.:b
Yes, I was in Port Charlotte.
Glad your move went well.
Mine was a nightmare. I'll have to PM you.
And thanks for all your help with the Peach. It turned out fine.
Let me know how your wine press goes. That will be a winter project for me.
Just getting my wine room set up.
Glory be, I'll have an actual wine room.
Tony...

does the venue where you are buying your grapes have a crusher
I get some of my produce from a nearby farmers market. Don't think they have a press. New to the area so I don't know about clubs. Thanks.
Thanks sour_grapes. I like to think of myself as frugal. :)
Tony...

OK- Change in plan:
Got a very good deal on ripe muscadines and I wound up with a bit over sixty pounds. Looks like I'll be doing a six gallon recipe.
Couldn't find an untreated 4X4 at the local Lowes, so I'll wind up nailing two 2X4s together for my crusher.
Going to need a presser. Don't want to squeeze all those grapes by hand.
Most likely go the bucket/bucket route for this year and think about a real press for next season.
Cheers!
:b

Latest posts

Back