harvest problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
anyone else noticing the ways squirrels are taken everything early on this year, all my pears gone, all peaches gone, all muscidines gone ,mull berries gone elder berries got the lttle pupple umbrella but with next to nothing on them, black berries all but a handful, yet gone again, I have never here (N.E.CORNER OF Arkansas) stripped and gone one day something looks like getting close 2 days latter nothing, looks like might have a rough winter,
I grow what I attempt to turn to drinkable wine from y land, no pesticides or funky fertilizers and so on , but this year, causes me a little worry, you watch gods creacher's and most every time you'll see what's a coming, well I have been wanting to work with some concentrates from home wine, I recon this is that chance for me to try something new, in the next few weeks I'll be emptying up 6 or 7 carboys from long term storage, plus 4 extra carboys I got my hands on this year, welp if nature gives you nothing, ya spend a little money and keep on keeping on, I always say, ole well I have been wondering about a few new trees so I guess i'll ferment a few different things to see what I wish to plant next,,, I may need to look on google maps see where a few of yall live find out your wok hours, ans come visit your cellers,, lol. don't worry wine makers tend to be nuts an I hate getting shot by a nut, but it was a pleasing thought,, lol..:dg

Sounds like it's time for some squirrel stew! Clearly they are well fed.

Been having the same problem with squirrels and deer and I think we've also been visited by a raccoon who took some apples as well. But this year the Fire Blight has hammered a couple of our apple trees and damaged a third one (we only have about 6) so our apple harvest is about nothing. Did get plenty of blueberries, and blackberries for a couple of gallons. And I did visit the store and pick up some peaches and strawberries.
Guess you could try a local farmers market if you've got one nearby. In NW Arkansas we have a number to choose from but found them a little proud of their produce.

check out homewinery.com
an yes done busted 3 coons 1 possum an 1 armadillo,
guess i'll help out a buddie that likes squirrels since I don't like em, the above mentioned wiped out my 2 chicken flocks, 1 for eggs ,brown leghorn and 1 for hatching eggs buff orphan's bow season soon, guess i'll get more burger meat, dang deer destroyed around $500 worth of fruit trees grapevines a muscadine vines, I'm going to really , really enjoy my deer burgers this year,, going to have some biddies over for wine and what ever hits my off set stick smoker,,, custom made been offered $1600 for it I got it from a newly an still bitter ex-wife, I bet that dude was just happy to be rid of her, I tried to find out where his shop is a coupe times, whew no more me asking his ex how to find him, you should see the expert craftsmanship
but I bought it as a grill for $250, shoot on my way home with it I got offered $1000,,, gotta love them ex's AS LONG AS NOT YOUR OWN,,,,:D

Sound
s like it's time for some squirrel stew! Clearly they are well fed.

Been having the same problem with squirrels and deer and I think we've also been visited by a raccoon who took some apples as well. But this year the Fire Blight has hammered a couple of our apple trees and damaged a third one (we only have about 6) so our apple harvest is about nothing. Did get plenty of blueberries, and blackberries for a couple of gallons. And I did visit the store and pick up some peaches and strawberries.
Guess you could try a local farmers market if you've got one nearby. In NW Arkansas we have a number to choose from but found them a little proud of their produce.

I live on 15 acres and have a big garden and apple, cherry and peach trees.I also have blackberries, blueberries, elderberries and strawberries. Every year I battle the squirrels, rabbits, deer, groundhogs, coons, possums, crows and woodpeckers. Every year I lose the battle and say" I give up. No garden next year". Then the gardening catalogs start arriving and I can't wait to get my hands in the soil again. I live trap but I am a terrible shot and my husband refuses to join the battle. I don't know how people who farm for a living can survive.

Mary Lou

I live trap too, dump em in a fed sack an pop, luckily for me was I was raised hunting with a 22lr, as l got better I moved to 22lr handguns. I bait them bologna works real nice on coon an possum, ground hogs you snipe from ambush between the hours of around 11am to around 4 pm seems mine like to raid, deer pie pans, deer season works best, if I get 1/2 I take that as a win, but this is the first year I can remember that they took 100% of my pears an peaches, the animals are storing and eating like from as far back as I remember in these parts, GOOD LUCK
dawg:rn

I live on 15 acres and have a big garden and apple, cherry and peach trees.I also have blackberries, blueberries, elderberries and strawberries. Every year I battle the squirrels, rabbits, deer, groundhogs, coons, possums, crows and woodpeckers. Every year I lose the battle and say" I give up. No garden next year". Then the gardening catalogs start arriving and I can't wait to get my hands in the soil again. I live trap but I am a terrible shot and my husband refuses to join the battle. I don't know how people who farm for a living can survive.

Mary Lou

Latest posts

Back