Good choice for pH Meter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a rank amature but that is what I use. I think (and hope) it works good for me. I can measure ph and acid.

I still reach for this even when my vinmetrica is sitting there because i know the probe is all calibrated and working.

I use the MW102 as well. This season I noticed it not calibrating though. I received an "EC" error on the 4.01 solution calibration. I talked to Milwaukee Instruments and they said the ion gell in the probe is really only good for a year. He said you could test it to see if it needed replacement by doing this simple test:

turn on
place in regular tap water solution for 10-15 minutes
then put in clear white distilled vinegar
If it doesn't go below 3.0, replace. (target is between 2.4 and 2.6).

Mark

Thanks for your input. I should say that after I posted this, I spoke with Vinmetrica on the phone again. They offered to replace my meter with a new one because of the ongoing issues I've had with it. They did this even though it was well past warranty. Vinmetrica is a nice company trying to do something valuable to winemakers, so I want my post to be fair to them.

I use the MW102 also and like it. Mark, thanks for that great info you posed from Milwaukee.

Early in the season I buy a cheap boxed wine. I record all the chemistry on it with calibrated instruments. I can now do a quick ph check with any of my ph meters to see if they are still calibrated using this same box wine.

I was still getting the "EC" error with my Milwaukee MW102 meter even with a new probe. Milwaukee Instruments replaced the meter with a new one even though it also was well past warranty. They gave me a new meter AND and new probe! Nice to get such excellent service.

Latest posts

Back